1984 Johnson 15 lower unit water tube removal

Home Forum Ask A Member 1984 Johnson 15 lower unit water tube removal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

A friend has a long shaft and a short.
    Short shaft works on his boat but has issues.
    Long shaft has almost no hours but doesn’t
    work on his boat. Removing the extension.
    He is as far as the water tube. How does
    that come out? Do you have to remove the
    power head?

rjoynt

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 140
    Topics: 26

Tubs, I don’t know the answer, but I have found http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboar … icles.html

Leeroys to be a great website to read.

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

Tubs,
    I believe the powerhead has to come off to chage the water tube. If memory serves me the water tube is captured by the inner exhaust tube which is fastened to the bottom of the powerhead independent of the midsection. Exhaust tube and water tube will come out with the powerhead. The exhaust tube must then be removed on the bench to swap out the water tube. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

The Boat House

Thanks Ben.
    Relayed your information and he is very
    grateful. He’s and old codger like me and
    he’ll get around to it when he gets around
    to it. If I remember correctly he said he had
    to leave the lake tomorrow for a few days
    so it may be a bit. I know he will get it done
    though.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Yes, the powerhead must come off if you want to remove the water tube…
    But, is he trying to make a short shaft engine out of a longshaft? I suppose it is possible to cut 5" off the water tube without removing the water tube, but it will be tough to get a cutting tool up inside the exhaust housing….
    If you decide to pull the powerhead, know that this engine has the troublesome water tube grommet set up, and this engine may have two water tubes if it is a 15hp. The shorter tube just directs the cooling water down inside the rear passage of the exhaust housing and away from the open exhaust megaphone.
    This engine looks like it is a fresh water engine so crushed water tube grommets is probably not an issue. But, your pal will want to update the water tubes and grommets if he is going through all the trouble of pulling the powerhead. There is also another way of avoiding future grommet issues by installing the grommets "improperly" on the original style water tubes. Let me know if you need/want more info…Don

The Boat House

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by The Boat House.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

I have one of these (even smaller) that I use. Can’t find a picture at the moment. Mine won’t cut a 7/8" pipe. Even leaves the copper tube rolled in on the end. Perfect for going into the water pump housing. Might save you a lot of time since it is a fresh water motor.

Available at Autozone for $8.99, but you can get all types from Amazon to eBay.

Dan in TN

The Boat House

Thanks Dan but not enough room.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46
    quote Tubs:

Thanks’ Don for responding. All he wants is
    to make it a short so he can use it. The
    design is making that more difficult than it
    could be. Probably not a big deal for you
    guys who fed your family fixing these things
    but I find them to be a pain and have no
    interest in working on them. He has already
    determined that cutting off the tube would
    be the easiest but not possible with the tools
    he has here because of its location. You could
    probably do it with a worn down cut off wheel
    but no tool, no air. I’ll catch him tomorrow
    before he leaves and share what you have
    posted. Thanks again for your incite.

I hear ya buddy. I can understand why your buddy does not want to get so involved with this project. So, I am sure, that between the two of you, you can come up with a way to cut 5" off that water tube to avoid pulling the powerhead. Like I said, this looks to be a fresh water engine, so I’m sure crushed water tube grommets are not an issue….

dougs-outboards

Replies: 110
    Topics: 9

I would simply use a dremel and a small 3/4" – 1" abraisive cut off wheel. If I remember right, there would be plenty of room to cut it off up in there, it’s up in there inside the leg about only a couple of inches I guess, (the cut off point I mean). There’s only about 1" of the water tube sticks down below the hole in the casting at the bottom of the leg on a short shaft, (and the rubber grommet butts up to the bottom of the casting when installed) and, easy to get at, from my memory anyway. Maybe someone here has a short shaft motor with the lower unit already off and can measure the short length of the water tube protruding down from the casting inside the leg and can report here on the forum. (pugetsoundboater possibly?) then problem solved. And I am sure you can find an easy way to smooth the burrs left on the edge from cutting that water tube off, (small file, very small diameter round grinding wheel in the dremel, etc).

And I agree with Tubs, I always found them a pain to work on too, but very good motors they are… Very powerful, and great sellers in my area.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.