Home Forum Ask A Member 2 hp Johnson or Evinrude — should I get one?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    overland
    Participant

I’m thinking of getting a 2 hp johnson or evinrude to mount on the side of my rowing dory, in the way that small motors are mounted on canoes. Are these little motors any good? I’m thinking of doing this in order to take my dad fishing, when I need to cover a little more ground than I can rowing. I’ll appreciate any advice.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

What are you considering, a new one? Old one?

overland
        Participant

Older ones: one from 1982, the other from the 90s, both Johnsons. There’s also an older Tanaka 2.5 available in the area, another lightweight one-cylinder motor.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The 1982 is a tried and true motor, and I like them. The only thing I don’t care for is if the water pump housing wears out, you have to replace the whole gear housing. But to be fair, it will last a long time if your water is decently clean in your area. Or not salt water.

I can’t comment on the 1990’s, no experience with those. Were they made in Hong Cong???

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

The only thing to watch for in the Johnsons is low compression. For that reason I’d get the ’82 model because I don’t think the ridiculous 100 to 1 oil ratio was in effect then (maybe?), and it was probably run with the correct 50 to 1. I have an 84 model that I bought from a fellow that belonged to his dad. He had one just like it for sale at the same time that had very little compression left because he’d run it on 100 to 1 mix, per the stupid instructions on the tank. His dad bought them both at the same time, but the dad ran 50 to 1 in his and it had plenty compression. I bought the dad’s and I passed on the other one. That little light motor would be perfect for your needs. Also parts are available pretty reasonable and they are easy to work on.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by reivertom.
              fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Those 80s 2hps are good engines…Simple, pretty rugged and reliable, easy to service. Needless to say, a fresh water unit is a much better bet. But, like others have said, these engines aren’t very tolerant to cylinder/piston skirt wear. You will know when one is “worn out”, will be hard to start, won’t idle well, and be low on WOT power. The mid 70s -80s models have a plastic tank, which is preferable to the metal ones that fouls and rusts out found on earlier models. I don’t know why, but these things seem to command big money…. Those OMC/hong kong units from the 90s aren’t worth bothering with, will be tough to find parts for.
                The latest water pump kits for these engines are expensive, but feature a SS liner and cup that fit inside the gearcase housing, so a replacing the gear housing is no longer necessary. .

cajuncook1
                Participant

I agree with the above statements.

Just a suggestion: You would be better served getting a Johnson or Evinrude 3hp outboard. Made from 1952 to 1968. They are very good, solid, and reliable motors. Very easy to work on and all the parts are still available. The larger fuel tank would give you a good bit of range compared to the 2hp motors. They can mount on the side of the boat/canoe or on the transom easily. Do a You Tube search on these motors and you will be quite impressed. You would probably get a motor at a much better price than the 2hp Johnson/Evinrude.

Cheers

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

just got a 3hp the other day.

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree that the 3 is a better motor but the two is lighter and easier to stow in a small place. The lightness factor would seem to benefit, when mounting a motor on one side of the boat. Stay away from the Tanaka. They are air cooled, loud and basically a weed wacker with a prop. (Which is why I call them “wave wackers.”)

Long live American manufacturing!

overland
                      Participant

Yes, the 3 would be a better motor, and I’ve been working on one lately to get it going. But I began to consider a 2 h.p. when I saw how light they are compared to the 3 h.p. I also saw a video of someone using one with a boat very much like mine, mounted on the side. I just did get one that became available here–a 1982 model. If it doesn’t work out, I’m pretty sure I can sell it. As someone observed here, they seem to fetch a premium, especially in running condition.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.