Home Forum Ask A Member 2 motors – What are they ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    oldemtr
    Participant

I’m going to look at a couple motors, and I’m not really good on identifying – Can anyone give a positive ID on these 2?
      This should be easy for you guys – I’ll be surprised if it takes 5 min :~)

The first I think, maybe pre war Johnson or Evinrude? But maybe not …….

unknown-motor-1

The 2nd one also looks familiar, but again, I’m not sure –

unknwn-motor-2

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by oldemtr.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by oldemtr.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

2nd one is a 1940-something Kiekhaefer Mercury.

dave-bernard
        Participant

the bottom is a mercury or made by mercury.
          tag on the side says it all.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by dave-bernard.
          oldemtr
          Participant

Update – Is the second one an early Mercury Comet – Minus lower cowl and spark plug cover ?

BROOK E. NEWCOMB
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1st one looks to be a Muncie/Neptune.

oldemtr
              Participant

Bingo! And here it is in the 1934 catalog :
                2hp-neptune

Thank you all – Now I just have to see them in person :~)

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The second is a Kiekhaefer single, the tank does not appear to have a
                  “chin” and it has a Tillotson AJ series carburetor, SO my guess
                  would be a 1941 Mercury KB1A early production or Wizard equivalent.
                  model. I believe I have seen the photo elsewhere.
                  Louis

oldemtr
                  Participant

So, would this motor NOT have had a lower cowling and plug cover?

I’ve seen a photo of a Comet, with cowl and spark plug cover :
                    1946_KD3

VS. This, without either, and so would be complete, as is :
                    1941_KB1A_Mercury

I’m trying to understand what I’m going to look at……..

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

KB1 Special and KB1 A Standard were same except upgrade from
                      poppet valve fuel mixer to carburetor. KB1 was dropped from
                      line and KB1 A changed to a steel gas tank to conserve aluminum
                      restrictions imposed by government. The KB3 Deluxe model
                      had a distinctive “chin” tank, cowl, rewind starter and spark plug covers.
                      Due to possible parts swaps identification is tentative, however, the
                      tank is almost certainly the non rewind tank used on KB1 and
                      early KB1 A
                      Edit
                      ID tag on prewar singles is on Port side of leg, while ID tag on postwar
                      singles is on Starboard side. The motor in second photo has ID tad
                      on Starboard (post war) side. It would appear that leg and clamp
                      assembly are from a postwar single. If so,clever native craftsmen have
                      been at work.
                      In your photo of a restored KB1 A the AJ3 carburetor has a rectangular
                      lump of excess metal. Apparently, initial production of AJ series had this lump.
                      Motor in second photo may be a parts motor with parts from here and there. The ID tag may not give the whole story as power head assembly and leg may not have left the factory together. A little
                      detective work is in order.
                      Edit
                      If as I suspect, motor #2 proves to be a collection of parts, what then?
                      Tough call unless price is right. Those with experience and parts can get things mostly correct with a reasonable investment in time, money and frustration. I would jump on it at $10 and pass at $100
                      …somewhere between I would flip a coin If you go for it post
                      better photos here. I would like to know how far off my guesses are.
                      Louis

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by green-thumbs.
                      fifty20ne
                      Participant

1941-42 Mercury COMET Factory Instructions.
                        Can be found under “Technical” on site
                        We don’t have a dedicated “mercury” section yet?

https://aomci.org/forums/topic/mercury-comet-instructions-1941-42/

Kb-1

KB-1A

A Many Thanks to “Tom Thuerwachter” for his many great articles in AO!

TTKB-1A

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by fifty20ne.
                        • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by fifty20ne.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.