Home Forum Ask A Member 2000 Johnson 50hp throttle cable hookup.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Installing new cables. I notice when I bought boat/motor, the throttle cable was connected to the lower hole in the throttle lever. Wondering if this is correct? See pic. If so, why are there 2 holes in the throttle lever? Also, any tricks to make inserting the little pin through the hole any easier? I’ve been tearing my hair out trying to reconnect the cable. Pin has to go through from the backside – there must be an easy way.

IMG_20191031_110658

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
      RICK EICHRODT
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Take the cable out of the fixture where the adjustment trunion sits, move the throttle to fast and align the pin and cable so you can easily install the pin from the backside using a pair of needle nose pliers or something to hold the pin, then place the keeper on the pin, push the throttle bracket back to idle and install the trunion in place. Lastly adjust the knob so the throttle assembly goes snugly against the stop when you move the shift and throttle handle.

lindy46
        Participant

Thanks Rick. Should the cable be connected through the bottom hole of the throttle lever as pictured?

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, it has been awhile since I fussed with one of these newer models…Your complaints are valid for sure, don’t know why they went away from the threaded studs to attach the cables, but this engine series suffered from many “over engineered improvements” when compared to the 1988 models they replaced. Those crazy pins and clips are a pain. Tough enough to install those pins from the back, but trying to get the clips through them while they are rotating freely is frustrating at best. I often wonder where some of the clips have ended up that go flying off during the installation/removal process actually end up…Under the flywheel to grind up the ignition components, or perhaps get sucked through the air box…. Oh well, like most other things, you get used to them after awhile I guess, and everyone develops their own methods.
            Now, back to your question, which is certainly a good one. You have the throttle cable installed in the lower hole, almost looks as if the cable end is somewhat bent that way. You may want to try the upper hole. The upper hole may end up causing too much stroke on that throttle arm though….I will find a manual for this engine and get back to you….D
            PS: Just looked in the manual, you have the cable in the lower hole, which is the correct hole…. Of course, that prompts the question what is the upper hole for….I will hazard a guess that the upper hole may be for tiller model engines….

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by fleetwin.
            lindy46
            Participant

I’m wondering if a small bolt with a locknut might work. It may be difficult though to get a wrench on the nut. May be worth a try.

lindy46
              Participant

Parts diagram shows cable connection in bottom hole

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you can’t always rely on those diagrams…But, in this case, the diagram is correct….I will have to look in the manual again to see how the tiller mounted throttle cable is connected to that throttle arm…

lindy46
                  Participant

Thanks all for the help. I’ll re-install the cable the way it was.

lindy46
                    Participant

I ended up putting a bolt and nylon locknut in place of the plastic pin. I for the life of me couldn’t get that pin in from the backside. It was much easier getting the nut on the backside and getting a wrench on it. Probably will be more durable than a plastic pin.

IMG_20200214_152854

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.