20hp Chrysler flywheel removal

Home Forum Ask A Member 20hp Chrysler flywheel removal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• melugin

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 260
    Topics: 32

Trying to work on a ’72 20hp Chrysler manual start. I am accustomed to removing a flywheel with an OMC type puller. This motor doesn’t have tapped holes for this kind of puller. What do I do now? I’m afraid to pry on one side while tapping loosened flywheel nut, as it could bend crank. Very nice looking motor and not mine. Thanks

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Use a knocker. You can buy one as a special tool or you can make your own. Find two nuts and a short bolt, the shorter the better, same thread as the shaft. Run one nut up on the bolt, followed by second nut only a couple threads, then run the first nut down against the second and jam them together. You just made a special tool.

To use, hand tighten the tool onto the end of the crank, lift flywheel and tap tool with a hammer as you suggested. Put the crowbar and sledgehammer away and use a small hammer, 12 or 16 oz. max. It is the shock that loosens the flywheel, not the bash. You won’t bend the crank. Showing knockers I made 50 Years ago, and never damaged a crank yet.

Flywheel-Knocker

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by frankr.

melugin

I’ll give it a try. Thanks Frank.

jim-moffatt

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 225
    Topics: 33

Per my Chrysler manual you wedge the flywheel up with a pry bar against the upper cylinder water jacket and hit the top of the crank with a moderate blow with a hammer. Repeat for different angles of the flywheel. You can also use the knocker. Chrysler made the flywheel rims extra thick so it wont get damaged in the process.

melugin

I also tried threading into the depressions in the flywheel to use a regular puller, with no luck, either. Since I don’t own this motor, I’m giving up before I really hurt something. Thanks again.

melugin

Finally contacted owner and got permission to really beat on crankshaft. Of course used aluminum plate to absorb the worst of the damage. After rotating and beating with pressure at rim, the flywheel did come off. Thank you for the encouragement. Now to get it firing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.