Home Forum Ask A Member 25/35 impeller housing know-how

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I made my special tool out of a distributor wrench. The distributor wrench kits come usually with a 1/2" and a 9/16"

They already have the bend in them. All I had to do, was run the outside edge of it on the bench grinder, to thin it out a bit, so that it fits in that little spot.

Sort of like this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/K-Tool-70600-Dis … 5d325acafc

johnyrude200
      Participant

Moving further along…I just discovered water in the top cylinder, so I think we all know now why I’m not getting much water flow in the right direction….looks like I have something wrong with the exhaust cover/gaskets/baffle. We’ll know by the end of today!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you sure? Did the motor run OK even though it was overheating?

johnyrude200
          Participant

The motor seemed to be running OK, but I did notice inconsistent starting, and sudden stalling much below high idle.

Having dealt with 4-5 motors with issues with this type of issue earlier this year, it is all making sense now. The motor started (the 1st time) right up, pumping plenty of water. It progressively had less water, until it eventually stopped. It also started taking longer, and longer, and longer to get to pop off and run, and wouldn’t idle down as low.

That’s because the cylinder(s) were getting full of water, and running the starter was effectively ‘purging’ water out of it, but then it started a progressive overheat because no water is making it’s way through the cooling system due to exhaust pressure.

I ran the gearcase on a drill gun today and with BARELY any RPM, that thing was pumping a TON of water (shot across the room). I could literally watch the driveshaft spin on the drill gun and water was gushing out, and I had the water tube installed to make sure it could climb the 20".

I also hooked a garden hose onto the water tube out on my lawn, and I could barely get any water to pass through the cooling system unless the hose was on full blast. It also took about 15 seconds at full blast for water to get through the cooling system (including over telltale), and that is because the entire crank case and cylinders were loading up with water first….

I pulled the plugs, and ran the motor with a screw gun on full blast for about a minute while continuously spraying fogging oil in the carb. Also pulled the cylinder head today, repeated the process, and tried hard to purge all the water I can get out of there. No corrosion fortunately.

I have the powerhead off at this point and am getting ready to pull the exhaust bypass cover and figure out which gasket crapped out. The only other thing I can think of is if the lower crank seal crapped out, but I doubt that is an issue, because the water that was in the motor today could have only gotten into the cylinders/crankcase due to the hose I hooked up to it.

Will report back later once I’m done dissecting.

johnyrude200
            Participant

all right, so I pulled the exhaust bypass cover off along with the inner baffle, and didn’t really find anything that lead me to believe there was water getting in through the exhuast holes in the cylinders. There was some pitting on that inner baffle, but the gaskets didn’t show anything that indicated water getting into that exhaust compartment.

I pulled the lower crank seal, which is now called the crankcase head assembly, and found the seal on the inside of this seems to have failed. So I’m guessing this is where the water was coming in through, or perhaps somehow pressure was stopping water from the pump as per what everyone was talking about. Am I correct in this conclusion?

The water I found in the cylinders was probably from when I ran the motor in the test tank last friday, and what was left over in the crankcase/cylinders. Whatever water I used to pump through the motor today via garden hose probably just went as it should through the cooling system and passed through. I haven’t found any blockages in the water system; the thermostat was pretty well clogged up with debris and the overboard "L" was plugged nearly solid with some small pebbles. This is probably why I could barely get water through the cooling system with the garden hose today.

johnyrude200
              Participant

I’m guessing I was probably right about that lower crank seal ("crankcase head assembly"), because now that I replaced it, when I turn over the flywheel I’m hearing the right noises of suction at the crankcase. Before, I was hearing an odd noise whenever I turned over the motor by hand, it was likely air being sucked up through that "crankcase head assembly," which in turn was probably pulling water up through the crankcase into the motor.

Well I guess there’s a first time for everything.

johnyrude200
                Participant

It’s probably a good thing this motor presented issues. I happened to be looking at the intake manifold with the carb off, and noticed the center screw on the manifold was missing. Then I realized that somebody installed a 20hp manifold on this 35 hp motor…the intake orifice is clearly the wrong one…so looks like I’ll be replacing that with the correct manifold!

They probably left that screw out of there to allow a little more air/fuel mixture in, but where that logic came from makes no sense to me, as that restricted manifold looks like its only about 60% of the size of the normal 35hp manifold.

So this motor actually had 4 things wrong with it…95% blockage of the telltale orifice, 95% blockage of the thermostat, failed lower crank seal, and totally wrong intake manifold (complimented with missing screw).

What’s impressive is the motor started up on the first 2 seconds of the key-on position after I tested for exceptional compression, pressure test-OK on the gearcase with lube change, and refurbished the ignition system.

As the old rules state…spark, fuel, air = RUNNING. Not necessarily right, but it ran immediately….

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so is the cooling issue resolved? The bad lower seal would not cause the overheat issue you reported.

johnyrude200
                    Participant

The motor I started this thread with was transplanted to another pan/leg, so I’ll get to it in a couple of months. I am pretty sure that the near complete clogs in the telltale and thermostat were the culprits. Finding the faulty lower seal with water in the cylinder(s) and the incorrect manifold just happen to be bonus items I stumbled onto with this one.

The other thread I started was utilizing the original leg, gearcase/pan of this motor, and is a different powerhead.

I tore the exhaust cover off and didn’t really see anything that indicated exhaust making it into the water inlet to stop water flow with this 2nd 35hp motor (which coincidentally is an ’81). The stainless steel baffle appears OK. I am going to button up the motor tonight, run it in the test tank, and if it overheats/stops water flow again, mount it on my boat tomorrow and try it on the river. If it overheats again, well then we know its a faulty seal in the impeller housing or something related to that.

This one is starting to get frustrating because I have put a solid 20 hours of labor into it, but this i the best way to learn I suppose!

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the engine in your latest post uses a different powerhead with this exhaust housing/gearcase and inner exhaust tube?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.