Home Forum Ask A Member 3 hp johnson JW 15

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Howdy Fellows

I was adjusting the face plate on this little 3 and when i went to put back on the cowl the gas valve turned and it started leaking right where the T- valve, the shut off, turns into the joint with the brass nuts below the tank. likely not explaining very well.
      I tried to tighten the brass nut on the turn off but it was tight enough didn’t want to crank down on it and wreck something else. it doesnt leak when shut off only when turned on.

So is there a o-ring behind that nut? if one is put in there will it hurt anything?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bill

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bill
        I think I understand what you are describing, let me know.
        There are no leaks with the fuel valve shut off, correct? Once the valve is open, fuel leaks out between the valve packing nut and valve shaft, do I have it right? I think you mention trying to tighten the packing nut further, but it is already tight. If so, it would seem as though you are out of luck. I don’t think there is any way of replacing the shaft packing in there, perhaps someone else has an idea. I’m thinking you need a different fuel valve.

outboard315
        Participant

How about some Teflon tape?

billy-t
          Participant

That is right it is leaking there at the base of the T shut off. guess it is time to look for a spare somewhere

Mumbles
            Participant

If you remove the tap, you can wind some dental floss on the shaft to act as a seal.

I find the waxed, minty flavored stuff works best!

billy-t
              Participant

Thanks Mumbles i happen to have some of that!

outboard315
                Participant

I believe Napa sells the t shut offs but I can’t find the part number.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.