Home Forum Ask A Member 30 hp javelin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

Just picked up a 56 javelin. My boat is a 1752 flat bottom Jon. Weight about 660 empty. If I put this motor on there what can I expect performance wise? The boat is rated for a 50 hp. Thanks!

Steve A W
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ought to be fun!

Member of the MOB chapter.
        I live in Northwest Indiana

Tinman
        Participant

US Member

I hope so! I had a 2000 25 hp and it would barely plane it. Was looking for a 35 hp but this motor just fell into my lap!

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Gotta have the right prop for your outfit! Your 660 pound boat with 200lbs of people a gas can and life jacket, real quick you will be pushing 1000lbs. My 53 twenty five erude pushes my 14footer about 26/27mph. That Javelin might make it to thirty or so, with the right propeller. Plenty of members looking for one of those fancy Johnsons, if you have the mind to sell it. Sound like fun for sure!

dale

Anonymous

Put a tac on it and check rpm at wot with your normal full load in the boat. Then change your prop so motor reaches max rated rpm at wot with that same load. Do not over prop that motor, it will not live long if you do.

auldscott
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Think you are going to have fun with the Javelin! Gotta wonder, though, why your 2000 25 hp would barely plane your boat. I had a 2000 25 hp Johnson on my Lund SSV-18 (dry weight 460) and it would run 26 mph with one aboard, 23 mph with four.

Tinman
                Participant

US Member

It would get me about 23 mph. 2 guys 12 gallons of fuel. 2 batteries trolling motor , gear. It would plane , I just felt like it struggled. I don’t want to go crazy fast , maybe 25-30.

Anonymous

With that load at 23 mph, what rpm was your motor turning?

Tinman
                    Participant

US Member

Have no idea. Was just a tiller steer. No instruments. That motor is long gone anyway. I may have to invest in some kind of tach. Learning as I go!

Anonymous

Sounds like your old motor (25hp) had a prop with too much pitch and that was keeping the rpm too low and not letting it reach it’s proper operating rpm. It would have done better if it had been able to rev up to it’s rated rpm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.