Home Forum Ask A Member 334588 Steering arm lock

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

I pulled this off a motor recently; what is the purpose of ever installing this? It holds the engine in the straight position, what would be the application? An example link is below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334588-Steering-Lock-Arm-Bracket-Evinrude-Johnson-Mercury/401261701971?epid=1949519716&hash=item5d6d0fab53:rk:15:pf:0

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by johnyrude200.
      Mumbles
      Participant

What size motor was the lock on? Was it being used as a kicker?

My old Yammy T9.9 kicker had a steering lock to while the new one doesn’t. Since kickers with remote steering are set up with zero friction, the lock held the motor in place while towing. Instead of using the lock, I would leave the tie bar to the outdrive hooked up while towing to prevent the kicker from flopping around from side to side. Yours might have another purpose though.

DSC00003

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
        johnyrude200
        Participant

this came off of a 70hp engine. I doubt it was being used as a kicker.

Mumbles
          Participant

What year 70? I’ve owned several and have never seen a steering lock on any of them. Right now I have an 80’s 70 which I’m cannibalizing for the TNT unit but I don’t recall it having a lock either. If the monsoon rains ever stop, I’ll go and have another look at it.

johnyrude200
            Participant

Ive come actoss a few motors with this bracket, I dont think the year really matters.

Just curious what the application is.

Maybe fleetwin or T2Stroke know?

Mumbles
              Participant

I dont think the year really matters.

Probably not but I was interested in looking it up in a parts diagram to see where it goes. Any photos?

johnyrude200
                Participant

It attaches to the port tilt tube, then to the extension off the stern bracket, if you look at the ebay link you’ll be able to figure out how it goes on (not complicated).

I actually have a few of these things lying around here from motors I break down before they go to the big lake in the sky.

Oh well some day I’ll find out why these were made.

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.