Home Forum Ask A Member 396514 Plastic Floats now?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

This is a common OMC float used for motors from 2-25hp with the small carburetor body (well, not the 18-20-25 or above after the early 70’s that used the larger carburetor body). I work on so many of these motors that still have the old cork floats that I end up replacing them, and was recently looking for an affordable source of good foam floats (or whatever that black material is). The oem ones cost a wopping $17.00-20.00 each and there are no after markets distributors for them. You have to be a BRP dealer to get the dealer pricing on these…..

Looking on Ebay, I see carb rebuild kits with what I can only guess are PLASTIC versions of these floats and I am reluctant to waste my money on try them out over the original black foam style.

What are folks experiences using these….junk???? Seems like they are cheap Chinese knock-offs.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If this is the same kit I think it is, I would not recommend this float. It is a hollow, hard plastic float that I presume is ultrasonically welded, or possibly just two halves glued together. I would not trust this float and would rather have the original cork one in decent condition. That is my opinion of them. Others may not have any qualms about using them or anything bad to say about them. My advice would be to pass on them.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
        Participant

US Member

OMC 396514 Nitrophyl float for me. Sorry ’bout the price.

gjonz
          Participant

I bought a similar kit on eBay. The packing and bowl gasket disintegrated within 2 weeks. the plastic float sank and kept flooding the motor.

I bought an OMC kit. Motor actually ran correctly.

Greg

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

Unless the cork is really shriveled up or deteriorating I have never had a problem with them. My 64 Johnson 40 still has its original cork and runs well.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Unless the cork is really shriveled up or deteriorating I have never had a problem with them. My 64 Johnson 40 still has its original cork and runs well.

Actually, I agree. Noting wrong with cork. But if they are shot, I prefer to replace them with Nitrophyl rather than try to revive them.

Mumbles
                Participant

Being the guinea pig I am, I to have tried the knock off kits with the plastic float. One kit has been installed for about two months now but I haven’t started the motor in a while. Maybe it’s time to give it a try.

amuller
                  Participant

I do not think there is anything inherently wrong with plastic floats. Solex and others used them for a long time. But they have to be made properly….no experience with the ones under discussion. I have had the best experiences overall with brass floats.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.