Home Forum Ask A Member 4 hp firestone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    baron0418
    Participant

US Member

I am working on a 4 hp firestone. It runs fine at high speeds ( above start.) but wont idle worth a darn constant cough and choke ,like its lean I have cleaned the carb 3 times the idle area in particular. the adjustment needle does not seem to do anything???? Brian in Michigan 810-794-7685

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Tillotson MD carburetor? I guess you know that the skinny tube going down through the top is the idle metering jet. And there is supposed to be a gasket under it. It is what determines the amount of fuel going in at idle. And they are sensitive to dirt clogging the tiny hole. The needle controls air, not fuel. Screwing it in cuts off the air, making it richer (like backwards). Normal opening is around 1/2-3/4 turn.

baron0418
        Participant

US Member

Tillotson AJ-16a I tried that, The gasket made it worse almost couldn’t start it. And the tube is clean. gonna try to find a different AJ-16a carb and try it. don’t know what else to do. Never had such a problem with a AJ carb. Or a MD for that matter dating back to the 1970s

baron0418
          Participant

US Member

I don’t actually have the proper gasket, Had to make one

baron0418
            Participant

US Member

Sometimes ya gotta cut your losses. Been messing with this thing since November. haven’t worked on anything for me all year. enough is enough. everything is clean,tests good, and or replaced. wont idle. Im done with it! Brian in Mich 810794-7685

baron0418
              Participant

US Member

It seems the customer still wants it fixed. Anyone have a Tillotson aj-16a carb?

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

This was used on Chryslers . . . 😕 – 🙄

This on the neutral clutch Fleetwin – handy for gaskets.

And the 14 horse Fastwen . . .

The current list on the 0551142 float bowl gasket is $5.00 – fits dozens of outboards – 😀

ryanjames170
                  Participant

Exhaust ports.. check them.. chased a idle isue simular to this turned out the ports were all but plugged.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

P.S. Of course you know you must remove the\e high speed needle valve before removing the float bowl or you may bend the needle making it hard to adjust. . . 😉

baron0418
                      Participant

US Member

its not a MD carb. AJ-16a no high speed needle issues and no float bowl gasket but, I do see the bypass tube gasket. item #28 202946 and 551141. I will check the exhaust ports, good suggestion. I hadn’t thought of that. But if they are clogged why does the motor run so well at high speed? I checked The reeds too they were perfect.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.