Home Forum Ask A Member ’47 Seaking 5 hp LU seal?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What type of seal is used below the drive shaft water seal bushing? In the diagram it is listed as PN 550027. Possible replacement options?

Thanks,

Mas

[/URL]

melugin
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That ‘seal’ is probably no more than an o-ring or more probably packing. The sealing system on these is marginally better than plain bushings. Johnsons used lipped seals, while these used compression, caps, and packings. Best to pay attention to regular lubrication, and hope that the previous owner did, too.

mas
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK

I guess I’ll need to tear into it to get a better idea. I was able to find a NOS gear case, so I’ll need to transfer the parts from several different cases. My old case was leaking and all the gears rotted away and messed up the bearings. Another case was cracked. I was going to have it welded until I found this NOS case.

Mas

mas
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK I was able to get the seal from MarineEngine.com. Question, how tight do I make the bushing (pressed fit), and how do I know how tight I’m making it? Also, what type of lube do I use on the shaft bushing and seal?

Thank you,

Mas

1946zephyr
            Participant

I put John Deere cornhead grease in mine.

mas
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

In both the gear case and on the shaft??

How tight?

Mas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.