Home Forum Ask A Member 50’s Johnson gear lube substitute?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

I’m putting together the lower unit of one of my 5 1/2 Johnsons this afternoon (a CD-11). Original owner’s manual says 90W gear lube…..and it smelled like that’s exactly what it had in it. I have tubes of modern stuff I keep around for my non-electric shift pontoon boat motor. Is that ok, or should I wait and get something else? I want to do it ‘right’…it’s a really nice old motor.

Thanks!

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

chris-p
      Participant

You have HIVis or the like. That is fine in there.

Steve A W
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Chris
          Do you mean Hi Viscosity or a medical problem?
          LOL

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
          I live in Northwest Indiana

1946zephyr
          Participant

The dealers sell Hi-Vis for manual shift motors 1972 and older. I’ve heard that it’s the same as 90wt for automotive purposes, but don’t quote me on that. Electric shift motors take a different blend. Marine sections, in Walmart usually carries the Hi-Vis too.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

things were simple in the 50 s

SAE30 for your gas 90 grade for the gears

wally mart 90 oil likely just fine and cheaper ….do a mid summer change if worried

I would be more worried about water intrusion (bad seals) than using bad oil

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

johnny-infl
              Participant

I bought a lower unit for a RD-19 off of ebay a few months ago just because it was cheap.
                the seller said he drained the gear oil and it was clean . . . . . (sound familiar ??).

well, upon opening the gear case because I don’t trust ANYONE on ebay or craigslist,
                this is what I found – – – after it was all cleaned up, the gears appear to have very little wear
                so I am satisfied with the $75.00 and free shipping. just a new impeller and some seals
                and now it is a very reliable "ready spare" should I ever need one.
                so in my opinion, if you check the gear oil frequently for water intrusion and change it every two years,
                you will be golden. I use Pennzoil Marine gear oil and am very pleased with it.

wedgie
                Participant

Johnny_inFL ,

That looks like John Deere cornhead grease. A good choice for gearcase with minor leaks, from what I hear.

captchuck
                  Participant

So Dad always told me to use Lubriplate (from a tube) in all the non electric shift engines. It was/is a thick white grease. The reasoning was it lubricated the gears fine and would not mix with water should your seals leak. Thus at the end of the season just open the lower fill screw and let any water in the unit drain out. The lubriplate stays put in the lower unit. Have I been lucky in that I have not had any problems or have others used this same grease?

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Lubriplate 105 is also a good choice in manual shift gearcases with minor leaks. Many have and still do use it. John Deere Corn Head is, more or less, used interchangeably with Lubriplate 105 for this purpose. In my limited experience, Corn Head Grease is a less expensive and more available alternative that works as well or better in non-shift, and manual shift outboard gearcases. I still prefer to reseal and use gear oil in cases that are repairable, but either grease is an acceptable alternative in most cases. Others with more or different experience may have more to add.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

The Boat House
                      Participant
                        quote CaptChuck:

So Dad always told me to use Lubriplate (from a tube) in all the non electric shift engines. It was/is a thick white grease. The reasoning was it lubricated the gears fine and would not mix with water should your seals leak. Thus at the end of the season just open the lower fill screw and let any water in the unit drain out. The lubriplate stays put in the lower unit. Have I been lucky in that I have not had any problems or have others used this same grease?

That is what I use but its mostly because of the tube.
                        Don’t need another grease gun with an adapter to put
                        the grease in the gear case. I pay for that convenience
                        though as the corn head grease is quite a bit cheaper
                        but its worth it to me.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaaDUyIX2kI&t=29s

105 is white because it contain zinc oxide. Its
                        purpose is to protect the new bearing surfaces
                        from damage at start up. Today zinc is being
                        removed from our motor oils because it doesn’t
                        burn off and will plug up the catalytic converter.
                        This is having an effect on earlier motors with
                        flat tappet cams and why motors are manufactured
                        with roller cams today. The zinc in 105 in the big
                        motors like the Elto Quads or 4-60’s may be of
                        some benefit to the gears under hard acceleration
                        but that is just speculation on my part.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.