50’s 18hp OMC retrofit question

Home Forum Ask A Member 50’s 18hp OMC retrofit question

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar shoestringmariner 2 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
    wbeaton
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 584
    Topics: 65

What I meant was there are no parts to swap either internal or external that will increase the hp of your 18 hp. The only complete powerhead swap that might work is a 1970’s 25 hp because it shares roots with your motor. Personally, I don’t care if you hot rod a 1950-60’s 18 hp. There is nothing rare or special about them. Enjoy the hobby the way you want. I’m just trying to save you some trouble and possible expense.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

garry-in-tampa
    Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3008
    Topics: 29

I believe they went to the 50 to 1 ratio with the light tension “pressure back” piston rings. . .

rudefan29070
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 13
    Topics: 4

I believe they went to the 50 to 1 ratio with the light tension “pressure back” piston rings. . .

And the pressure back was on the 2 ring pistons, right?

shoestringmariner

Replies: 234
    Topics: 47

What I meant was there are no parts to swap either internal or external that will increase the hp of your 18 hp. The only complete powerhead swap that might work is a 1970’s 25 hp because it shares roots with your motor. Personally, I don’t care if you hot rod a 1950-60’s 18 hp. There is nothing rare or special about them. Enjoy the hobby the way you want. I’m just trying to save you some trouble and possible expense.

shoestringmariner

Replies: 234
    Topics: 47

Where’s the like button?
    I appreciate your thoughts and advice

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.