Home Forum Ask A Member '51 10 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

Have some questions about the carb. I know they don’t make a carb kit for this model, just a bowl gasket. Can the carb be cleaned and bowl gasket replaced without removing carburetor? Or should I remove from motor? Looks substantially more difficult to remove than the ’54 and up carbs. I’m putting a furnace in my garage now so I can work on some motors this winter. If I wait till spring I’ll never have the time!! Thanks.

IMG_5265

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is always better to remove the whole carb and clean and especially blow the carb out. This motor has the reed block and the carburetor cast together. Sometimes you can get the reed block off without ruining the gasket. I am not that lucky and it can be a challenge to find or make a new gasket for the reed. The float in your motor is held to it’s bracket by a screw. The cork float deteriorates with age and the screw hole gets whopped out. I bought a new style float and broke the bracket off. Screwed the new float to the old bracket. I have some pictures if you run into that problem. The old buggers run great once ya get them right!

dale

Tinman
        Participant

US Member

Thanks dale, I’m going to remove the carb then for more thorough cleaning. Hopefully I can salvage the gasket. If the float looks to be in bad shape the pictures you have would definitely be a big help.

Bryan

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you have the book I presume

see url on top

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here are some pictures. If your float is toast maybe you could try my fix. Vintage outboard has a float bowl gasket for sale I made one and that was not so easy! There is a big cork gasket that goes between the float bowl and the housing inside the bowl. That puppy is usually shot. Probably the most important gasket in there. The green QD’s are good runners. Light weight and pretty fast for an OMC product. I have a ’51 and a ’53.

dale

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collections/johnson-evinrude-fuel-systems

New float with old bracket

If only you could buy scissors with bigger holes in the handle!

IMG_0271

Tinman
              Participant

US Member

Crosby man, I do not have the book. And dale, thanks for the pics and advice. That motor looks great!!

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have had difficulty printing pages at times but… you can usually print sections you need to PDF files by changing the printer selection

there is a limit on the range of pages so just print a few at the time then just reprint the PDF to paper for safekeeping

click on the printer logo …select pages… click on the TICK mark bottom right … select PDF in your printer list … print to PDF file … voilà 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                  • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                  Tinman
                  Participant

US Member

Ok. Thanks! Should help out a lot.

Tinman
                    Participant

US Member

Wow guys, that carb sure is different than what I am used to. But is spotless. Makes me wonder how much it was actually run. And compression is 79 psi top and bottom. Have a few questions. First what material do you use to make the the washers that seal all the screws? Like the one that holds the bowl on. And the seal that is in the lower bowl that seals the primer pump shaft, should I leave it be or replace it IF there is a replacement available. And on the top of the carb body is a rounded fixture with holes in it. One , what does it do and two, does it need to be removed to clean? Mine is not wanting to budge. Thanks for the help. Including a few pics. And not sure how the lower unit drops down but that will be another day!

IMG_5282

IMG_5283

IMG_5284

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know what that thing on the top of the carb does but it looks like a vent of some sort. Leave it alone if it doesn’t want to come off. Blow everything out with compressed air if you can.

I went to NAPA and bought a pack of gasket paper. It comes with several different types of paper and cork gaskets. If you have a set of hole punches and a paper punch like you find in the school supplies department of any department store. You can make any of those round doughnut gaskets. Just a little practice and you’ll be a star. Mister Tubs has some great videos on gasket making. Check it out on utube!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGFs2q068VMPDidD_1Y7yw

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.