Home Forum Ask A Member 51? 5 hp Sea King Compression

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jimk
    Participant

So moving onto the top end I did a compression check after spraying some fogging oil in and find it only has about 62# in each cylinder. Is that enough for it to run ok? It only has spark on one cylinder and points are clean and set so coils and condensers are going to be needed for sure. Carb hasn’t been touched yet but I don’t know if it is worth continuing with that kind of compression. Thanks again, Jim

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It will probably run OK at 62psi being that it is even. It may come up a bit with some running. I have a ’63 Sea King that had about 64psi in each cylinder according to my gauge and it is one of the best running Gale 5s I have ever had. It did come up to almost 70psi after running it several times too. I think it is worth doing the ignition and fuel system work.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Those ’51 coils are almost bulletproof. Before condemning them, I suggest you re-visit the points. Take them apart and degrease them, and polish each contact individually. I’ll bet you will get spark.

jimk
          Participant

I polished the points and cleaned them with acetone but still just the bottom cylinder has spark. The coils are all cracked and the coating is coming off is why I thought I should replace them. Carb is all apart and soaking now and I think I managed to save the base gasket because I cant find another. Am I right in the parts list I need, 18-5156 points, 18-5181 coil and 18-5199 for the condenser? Parts seem to be hard to find for this but I am trying! Thanks, Jim

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Really? I didn’t think those crack-prone (Universal Magneto) coils were used in 1951. Guess I’ll have to re-think.

EDIT: Yep, yer right. 1951 had the Universal Magneto. Same as a bazillion Johnson and Evinrude motors since then.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.