Home Forum Ask A Member 51 sportwin 3.3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    elysium
    Participant

Hello,

I am new to outboards. Never owned one till now.

Twice now this happened to me. Just picked this engine up at a rumage sale. Got it in the water. Started it, ran it for a few minutes, shut it off. Did this a few times. Longest run was maybe 10 minutes of 3/4 throttle. Pulled in to another bay to fish and slowed the motor down then off. When I was ready to leave, I could not pull the recoil out. Took recoil off, could not turn the flywheel. Recoil moves fine. Got out the oars. Tried one more time and she started. Went home.

Second time out, same exact scenario. After a few starts and stops, went to start and could not pull out recoil. Got out the oars and rowed back. Tried a few more starts and could not get recoil to move.

Got it home. Took out plugs. Could not pull over. I was able to turn flywheel with a wrench. After that the engine moves freely, although occasionally it will have slight resistance but then frees up again. Drained lower unit to make sure there was enough oil. Then I filled it back up with 90W lower unit oil. I have not run it since.

I’m not sure where to start. Got a few opinions from guys at work. One said the lower unit shaft is not strait and is binding. I want to try putting an additive like sea foam in to see if its just sticky, bad gas. Someone said penetrating oil sprayed in the cylinders and let it sit. I’m running 24:1 in it right now but its from my ice auger so not the freshest.

Thanks for any advice!

Michael
      Participant

International Member

My first guess is the engine overheated. Did you verify that it was pumping water at asny times? Do you know when the impeller was last changed? If not it is always a good idea to change when you acquire a new motor

elysium
        Participant

Thanks for your reply. I did notice a steady stream of water out the back of the motor about halfway down the shaft area. There are 2 impellers in the motor but I have not opened it up yet. Maybe only one is working? Also there is water dripping from the vent in front of the shaft area.

chris-p
          Participant

Yeah I would think you overheated it, then it seized up. After cooling off, it was free again. Don’t run it again until you do maintainance on the cooling system.

elysium
            Participant

I will check it out. It was shooting water out the back so I thought it was pumping ok.

elysium
              Participant

Well I pulled out the lower unit. Seems good. Pulled out the pump. Both impellers are in good shape. I then went to spin the flywheel after being free and sitting about a week. It was seized up again. Was able to turn and free it up. Something is sticking. I sprayed some penetrating oil in and left over night. Will see if this helps or if the powerhead is shot.

ray-schaber
                Participant

Try using tcw3 oil at 16/1 = 1/2 pint per gal. Of gas.
                  Ray

Mumbles
                  Participant

If the motor is tight or sticking, penetrating oil isn’t going to fix any damage done inside. Probably best to tear it down and fix the problem yourself. They’re easy to work on so go for it!

elysium
                    Participant

I’m hoping its just a lubrication/sitting for years issue. The owner who sold it to me poured 50:1 in to show me it ran. He didn’t know much about it. He owns 2 other engines and got this from a deceased relative. He said it sat for at least 5 years.

After buying it and researching, I dumped some 24:1 in the two times I took it out. I am going to mix some 16:1 and run it, stop, run, stop to see what happens. If it was seized and I could not free it, I’d be tearing it down. But what didn’t make sense is how easy it came free. Could not pull it with the recoil, but a wrench freed it up with ease. I’ve been giving it a lot of PB blaster today and spinning the flywheel. So far its moving fine. Cylinder walls have a mirror finish to them, can’t see any damage. Heads are black crusty looking. Prior to the penetrating oil, I had it free and just sitting a few days it stuck back up. Before I run it, I will let it sit and see if it locks up again.

Mumbles
                      Participant

That’s interesting as there isn’t really that much inside them that can go wrong. The large centre bearing on the crank could be an issue maybe if it was ran on a lean mix earlier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.