Home Forum Ask A Member ’54 Fleetwin – wont run on low speed

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am asssssuming that you removed that aluminum welch plug to expose that low speed mixing cavity….Needless to say, the engine is never going to idle without that installed, you will need a new one…
      You have the lead shot, but did not show us where the empty hole is. Please post a picture, some of these holes are “vents” and are should not be plugged….
      And yes, just because the engine seems to run on both cylinders at higher speeds does not mean it can’t drop a cylinder at lower speeds….I am assuming you have had the mag plate apart and inspected/replaced the coils, points etc…

burnt-clutch
      Participant

I’m aware of the welch plug and I took it out for the sake of the picture. I’ll go ahead and order a replacement lead shot and install it since the diagram picture calls for it. I also remember sweeping up a odd looking B.B. a few weeks after I took the carb apart. Is the shot supposed to be tapped into the biggest hole in that cavity, or is it supposed to be free to roll around as motor moves?
        -Karl

Steve D
        Participant

Karl, Nothing gets tapped into any of those holes in the cavity. You just clean that area up and cap it with the expansion plug/welch plug #72, whatever you want to call it. You say the diagram picture calls for it but you may be interpreting it wrong if you’re thinking that #73 goes in there. As others have said, show us a picture first of where you think the lead shot should be, because that cavity isn’t it.

54-carb

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Steve is right, I fear there is some confusion here….
            The lead shot does not go inside the mixing pocket. Post some more pictures of the top of the carb so we can show you were the lead shot belongs, and if in fact it is actually missing…

burnt-clutch
            Participant

Ok, I’ll look at the carb tonight and verify what you are asking. I’ll also check for spark after dark. Are there any good aftermarket plug testers out there to buy?
              -Karl

wedgie
              Participant

Something like this. Good idea to check for spark leakage in the dark. I’ve found if the plug boots are dry rotted they will leak the spark to ground .you can also just grab the boots while running to find leakage too LOL 🙂

https://www.amazon.ca/OEMTOOLS-25227-Inline-Ignition-Tester/dp/B004FEJFTO

burnt-clutch
                Participant

I was going through my phone and found another picture that I took. So I take it the lead shot goes where the arrow is pointing?
                  -Karl

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, that is where the lead shot is found…But, there appears to be some sort of decent plug in there already….I would leave it alone…

wedgie
                    Participant

Can confirm what Fleetwin says. The carb on my 1954 has the identical brass plug.

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

Something like this. Good idea to check for spark leakage in the dark. I’ve found if the plug boots are dry rotted they will leak the spark to ground .you can also just grab the boots while running to find leakage too LOL 🙂

https://www.amazon.ca/OEMTOOLS-25227-Inline-Ignition-Tester/dp/B004FEJFTO

Or you can do as my brother did to me when I was little……..had me hold the spark plug
                        and wire then roped over the flywheel…….. must of had good spark…… I still haven’t
                        forgotten after 50 years!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 45 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.