Home Forum Ask A Member 54 Johnson 25HP gear questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Overhauling the gearset. I have a very good clutch but the lugs on the forward gear are badly damaged. The gear teeth are good. I see reference to machining the gear lugs but not how to do it. I have a small vertical milling machine. Can anyone provide instructions?

Another possible fix – the lugs on the reverse gear are OK. How should I remove the pressed in bushing from the forward gear? Then I could install that pressed in bushing into the reverse gear and use it in place of the damaged forward gear. For a reverse gear I have a reverse gear from a parts motor. The teeth are rusted and pitted but it would probably be fine for intermittent reverse loads.

Does anyone have suggestions?

frankr
      Participant

Lots of us have swapped the forward/reverse gears, as you suggested. It isn’t too difficult to remove the pressed-in bushing. Use an arbor press if you have one, but otherwise a vice & socket or whatever lesser equipment which you may have.

lloyd
        Participant

I agree with Frank. I have reversed the forward and reverse gears in the past with success. Intermittent use of the worn out reverse gear.at low speeds works OK.

lindy46
          Participant

Interesting that the gear is worn but the clutch dog is good.

David Bartlett
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Clutch dog may have been replaced already.

David Bartlett
              Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

olcah
              Participant

Thank you Frank and Lloyd. Turned up a punch and used an old washer in a vise. Worked slick, the bushing came right out. Then tapped bushing into the aft gear with the punch and a hammer. 🙂

press-bushing

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

You may also square up the damaged edge of your “new” reverse gear with judicious use of a Dremel grinder. Try to take the same amount off both lugs to evenly distribute the ware. The gears are case hardened, but the amount lost is OK for reverse as you are usually limited in speed when reversing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.