Home Forum Ask A Member 55 RDE-17, 25 hp, Power Head O-rings, etc

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

FYI, Barry is NOT going to be at Tomahawk.

quote Richard A. White:

Might I suggest, that you contact Barry and see if he is going as I am pretty sure he would bring your order to you..

The blues are from the early 70’s I think here is the photo:

Prepare to be boarded!

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For my pressure tester I used a piece of aluminum round bar stock. I threaded it for 3/8-16 on one end with a step for an O-ring. I drilled a hole thru the center. Drilled and tapped for a 0-15psi pressure gauge in the end opposite the 3/8-16 thread and a cross hole drilled and tapped for a Schrader valve. I have used it with a bicycle pump, but prefer regulated compressed air. I’ll try to post pics again soon. For some reason it isn’t working right now.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Ben, I found this one on this site.
          I was thinking "bicycle pump" just to be sure
          I didn’t over pressurize the LU and blow a seal out!

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

wyo307
          Participant

Looking great so far! If you run into anything that is broken and don’t have the parts shoot me a message, I have a bunch of misc parts laying around from when I rebuilt mine. I just need to paint mine and it is good to go. Runs great though!

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for the offer. No idea what "hard parts" I might need yet.
              It didn’t come with a tiller handle, but then again, I don’t have
              a boat big enough to test it on, lol.
              I do have a 56 Evinrude Big Twin 35 hp with a tiller to borrow,
              if it fits.
              Bunch of parts are now degreased, so time to acquire paint from
              somewhere, and start sandblasting.

quote Wyo307:

Looking great so far! If you run into anything that is broken and don’t have the parts shoot me a message, I have a bunch of misc parts laying around from when I rebuilt mine. I just need to paint mine and it is good to go. Runs great though!

Prepare to be boarded!

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Use walnut shells….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote Buccaneer:

Ben, I found this one on this site.
                  I was thinking “bicycle pump” just to be sure
                  I didn’t over pressurize the LU and blow a seal out!

Buc,
                  That’s my tester. 😉 I either use a pressure regulator, or only pump up the compressor tank to 10 or 12psi when i use my tester. That way I dont overdo it.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Oh if mine only looked that good 🙁

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just don’t be fooled by faulty gage set ups…I am not criticizing home made stuff, I have had plenty of Stevens testers show false leakage in the gearcase, when the true problem was a gage issue, hose, valve etc…
                      I guess what I am saying is that if the gear lube comes out without showing signs of water, I would probably just refill and run it…Needless to say, I would change gear lube frequently to ensure all is well. Running it "as is" will give you a chance to make sure the clutch dog is OK as well…
                      Needless to say, if the lube shows signs of water, then you should pressure test to find the actual problem before resealing…
                      Oftentimes test equipment that was designed to help us, ends up confusing us with false readings/wrong conclusions….

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

Sounds like good logic Fleetwin.
                        Making a pressure tester is on my "list". I would think it would
                        be handy also when you know you have a leak, but not sure
                        where. Haven’t tried draining the LU yet. Clean and sandblaster
                        some parts this morning. All afternoon has been mowing and
                        tending gardens. 🙁
                        Thanks.

quote fleetwin:

Just don’t be fooled by faulty gage set ups…I am not criticizing home made stuff, I have had plenty of Stevens testers show false leakage in the gearcase, when the true problem was a gage issue, hose, valve etc…
                        I guess what I am saying is that if the gear lube comes out without showing signs of water, I would probably just refill and run it…Needless to say, I would change gear lube frequently to ensure all is well. Running it “as is” will give you a chance to make sure the clutch dog is OK as well…
                        Needless to say, if the lube shows signs of water, then you should pressure test to find the actual problem before resealing…
                        Oftentimes test equipment that was designed to help us, ends up confusing us with false readings/wrong conclusions….

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 55 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.