Home Forum Ask A Member ’56 Johnson RDE-18

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tom-c
    Participant

I’m going over this motor for a friend. He said it was not cooling last time he started it. I replaced the impeller even though the old one was worn but still looked ok. I checked for blockage by blowing air up the intake water tube while the lower unit was off. The air went through and came out through the lower case. Am I missing anything? If there is a thermostat, I don’t see one. I haven’t fired it up yet.

chris-p
      Participant

No t stat on that. Try sealing the impeller plate down to the casting with some 3M 847. Check the grommets, both upper and lower. IF swollen, they will prevent flow. Also, ensure you grease or oil them before installing the gearcase to ensure she slides up smoothly. Is the vent hole in the impeller housing clear and not blocked? Housing badly worn? Intake area free of debris?

Was he running it in a barrel, and if so, was it deep enough?

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Was he running it in a barrel, and if so, was it deep enough?

can’t emphasize this enough.
          scott

Doug Wilson
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Agree with the question above, if the water is not well above the water pump, it will not prime, they are not self priming pumps.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
            turned off?

tom-c
            Participant

Not sure if he had it on the boat or in the barrel. the vent hole was open, the grommets look fine, the housing is not worn. everything looks to be in great condition, clean and perfect. Maybe he had some seaweed blocking the intake? I guess I’ll have to fire it up to find out if it pumps now. Thank you!

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you sure the impeller hub is not loose in the rubber impeller? Although chances are pretty good he just didn’t have the engine deep enough in a barrel, or was using a flushing adapter improperly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.