Home Forum Ask A Member ’57 18hp water pump gasket

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rschiff
    Participant

Is there an easy way to change out the rubber grommet that the copper water line goes up into on the lower unit?

Thanks
      Robbie

chris-p
      Participant

In short, no.

Stick a small punch in through the hole in the side of the leg, which will push in the rubber tab, allowing you to pull down on the grommet with long needle nose pliers.

that is how I do it anyways.

need2fish
        Participant

How does one install the new grommet (at the top end of the tube ) ?

chris-p
          Participant
            quote need2fish:

How does one install the new grommet (at the top end of the tube ) ?

Sort of opposite of taking it out.

There is no real install tricks here that I know of. I have a sort of home made tool I use. Essentially a long rod with a step to hold the grommet on. I used to just use a long wooden dowel with a nail through it to hold the grommet. Grease it up, stick it up, then various other punches to get it in. If the motor has the hole in the side of the lower unit right where the grommet goes, that makes it easier.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OMC did make a special tool for doing that job. A long aluminum rod with the step for the top of the grommet to rest on. The is a flat spot where the grommet ears are located to allow the grommet to compress due to it ears crushing. Once the grommet seems to be in place, simply turn the rod, the high spots will force the grommet ears in place.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

I have a L O N G lever action needle nose pliers that does a good job pulling them out. It also saves me from bending to pick up things I drop on the floor – They made a special tool for putting in the those grommets. They are still difficult to get in unless positioned exactly right. A film of oil helps a lot.

. . . . . . 😀

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I used to have one of those special tools and never used it. It did not work well. I used a couple of big screwdrivers to poke and prod them in.

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It really helps to have a clean hole to put the new grommet back into. If I am not mistaken it is a half inch hole, so it can be cleaned out with a long half inch bit….(Just use the bit as a hand reamer…no need to actually drill and screw it up) Then the grommet will go in like it has eyes. Well, almost.

Long live American manufacturing!

rschiff
                    Participant

Thanks for all the help! There is definitely no easy way to do that. Worked on it all weekend and I think I used a little of all advice given to ultimately oil, poke, prod, twist, curse, take a break, walk away, come back and poke some more and finally get it seated in there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.