Home Forum Ask A Member 57 Evinrude 18HP crankshaft

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Looking to replace the lower crankshaft seal I noticed rust in the lower carbon seal area of the crankshaft. The rust is on the journal in way of the inner carbon seal o-ring. See the photo.
      I opened the crankcase and the bearings and the other jounals are ok. (There is some scoring on the top piston skirt but that seems very common with 1950s OMC motors.)
      It looks like I need a new crankshaft as the rusty rough surface is too deep to polish out and it would destroy the oring running.

From working on an RD awhile back I learned that that some later crankshafts for RDs were chrome plated. I wonder if that is also true for this Evinrude?

From the parts list for this Evinrude the crankshaft is part number 304794. Does anyone know if there is there a later number than 304794 for a chrome plated crankshaft that fits this 1957 Evinrude 18HP? The motor is sn 15020-12807.
      Thank you.

100_6048-Copy

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Mumbles.
      frankr
      Participant

Shoot, that shaft doesn’t look bad to me. They all look like that, or worse, here in salt water territory. It doesn’t have to seal absolute 100% anyway. I’d polish it as good as possible and use a 305098 quad ring inside the carbon seal instead of the original o-ring.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by frankr.
        frankr
        Participant

But to answer your pointed 304794 is replaced by 304733, replaced by 315286. I don’t know which are or are not chromed.

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am with Frank on this one, it don’t look bad to me. That “o” ring spins with the seal and the crankshaft. Put some sealer on that O ring when you assemble your motor and run’er!

dale

olcah
            Participant

Thank you so much Frank and Labrador Guy,
              I did not realize the seal spins with the shaft! I’ll save this discussion for sure.
              You both have so made my day!

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by olcah.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.