Home Forum Ask A Member ’57 Evinrude 7.5 fleetwin fuel mix

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

I am totally convinced that those dumped rods in 5.5 and 7.5 motors are the result of water getting into the crankcase through a faulty lower seal, not because of lack of oil. Now, might have an abundance of oil prevented the water damage? Good question.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

better to burn oil instead of burning up a motor …they say 🙂 .

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am totally convinced that those dumped rods in 5.5 and 7.5 motors are the result of water getting into the crankcase through a faulty lower seal, not because of lack of oil. Now, might have an abundance of oil prevented the water damage? Good question.

I had beginners luck: When this rod let go, it didn’t go through the crank case. My Dad and I took it apart. He looked it over with his aircraft mechanic’s eye. We bought one rod and some gaskets, put it back together and it ran the entire next summer on 16:1, usually either at dead idle or WOT, on an 8′ Mini-Max.

Edit: It was a very long time ago; but it could very well have been the bottom rod that let go; so I see your point.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by billw.
          jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can someone tell me about my 53 Evinrude 15 on the rods weather or not they had needles or not? I’m thinking they did but not sure. Asking why the inside the cowl, it stated ” for convenience mix 1 qt in a 5 gallon container. Result was 19 qts of gas to 1 qt of oil.
            Anyone know? Needles or bushings?
            Always run my 78 Evinrude 85 @ 40/1 ratio. Heard the rings are close to the crown of the piston.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by jeff-register.
            David Bartlett
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can someone tell me about my 53 Evinrude 15 on the rods weather or not they had needles or not? I’m thinking they did but not sure. Asking why the inside the cowl, it stated ” for convenience mix 1 qt in a 5 gallon container. Result was 19 qts of gas to 1 qt of oil.
              Anyone know? Needles or bushings?
              Always run my 78 Evinrude 85 @ 40/1 ratio. Heard the rings are close to the crown of the piston.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by jeff-register.

Jeff,

That motor has needles on the crankshaft end of the rod.

David Bartlett
              Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I was a kid, I took a perfectly good-running ’56 Fleetwin, hooked up a tank of 50:1 EVINRUDE oil mix to it, at the recommendation of a professional O/B tech, and went about 1000 feet at WOT, before it threw a rod. Maybe if I had used JOHNSON oil, it would have been okay? I don’t think so.

Don’t feel bad, OMC sure pushed a lot of “hype” when it came to the capabilities of new and improved oils…. I remember this malarkey being pushed on us by the instructors at service school as well…. I’m convinced most of the engineers had never even seen a 56 Fleetwin, much less worked on them or run them… I always felt that engineers should take an OMC engineering history course every year….Just seems like the same mistakes were repeated again and again, even though past failures should have been a good lesson……
                I guess half the problem is that none of the folks that new the history were still around to teach the course!
                The other half of the problem is that the sales/cost departments ruled the place, so engineering designs were often squashed due to cost or going against that sales department…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by fleetwin. Reason: addition
                Mumbles
                Participant

Here’s what happens if you run a 5.5 or 7.5 horse motor with not enough oil in the mix and out of the water. No, I do not know who these axxxxxxs are.

https://youtu.be/DsDAY2nYISg

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

thank you Don!
                    It was that way at TRW building pipe bombs….or air bags. They wanted us to perform service on the robotic assembly lines running & dealing with explosives. Big meeting with all the staff. I made a few negative remarks about reality check & “show me how you change oil at 65 mph & I’ll follow your lead. The passenger air bag had a 2.5” aluminum pipe packed with explosives. Just to be in the same room with sodium azide was toxic. The robots scrapped too many sodium azide pellets so TRW put people in there to use all the scrapped pellets up.
                    TRW = terrible risky work!!!!

Thanks for the data on my 53 Evinrude 15. Now I know why the cowl said 1 qt of oil to 5 gallons of fuel!
                    Sorry guys I was wrong!!

bwanadon
                    Participant

I vote 16:1. I have the manual in front of me. Now oil back then and oil today are different. Err on the side of caution, use 16:1. More oil will not hurt anything.

I have that exact motor. Every time I work on it it runs worse.It’s ripping my heart on and chewing it up. It’s down on my workbench pulled apart once again. I’m going to hone it and put rings in it. If I can get the bolts out of the power head. Well not if but when. I’ve got a Bridgeport mill at work that says those bolts are coming out.

If you need, I’ve got the owners manual and parts manual. These guys around here are experts, they will give you good advice. Good luck I hear these are excellent motors that run great.

Don

Mumbles
                      Participant

Here’s the ’56 Fleetwin parts manual in PDF form for everyone to enjoy.

Evinrude-Fleetwin-7.5-HP-1956-Parts-Manual

I can’t find a ’56 Fleetwin owners manual but a ’56 Johnson AD owners manual will be close enough.

1956-Johnson7.5HP-AD10-AD-Owners

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.