Home Forum Ask A Member ’57 Fastwin mystery – please help

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Andy, heat those bolts up with your benzomatic torch.

dale

get’em wet don’t let’em set!

andy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

labrador-guy I’ve used heat to loosen frozen fasteners with success many times in the past. I used it on this motor when taking the fasteners out of the lower rear engine cover. The heat didn’t help at all in this case. I’ve seen this before. I do appreciate the help!

'48 Zephyr, restored '06, runs great
        '54 Fastwin, restored '09, runs great
        '57 Fastwin, unrestored, locked up in 2018

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, considering that you say the engine runs just fine once freed up, I will hazard a guess the head gasket/eroded cylinder sleeves are not an issue…But who knows. That leaves the lower seal and exhaust cover as suspects. I had a very interesting case once. A dealer reported a constant water leak into just one cylinder of a newer 88hp, even after new head and exhaust cover gaskets.
          I decided to remove the gearcase and run the engine a little bit to warm it up. I then attached a hose to the water tube and just ran water through the engine while I peaked into that cylinder with an inspection light….I noticed that water was dribbling into that cylinder through its exhaust ports. We pulled the exhaust cover again, everything “looked OK”, the dealer told me that the inner exhaust cover was actually new, he had replaced it during his last attempt to solve this issue. We found the block casting was actually porous around one of the ports allowing water from the cooling jacket to leak in. Needless to say, the only way to solve this was to replace the powerhead, but at least the mystery was solved. This was a newer engine with a casting flaw, had nothing to do with its salt water environment.
          So, you may want to try pulling your gearcase, and running water through the powerhead with a hose attached to the water tube. You will need a good inspection light, perhaps one of those inspection cameras, and much better eyes than mine. Once you have spotted the leak, be sure to run the engine a bit to expel any water. Needless to say, this method will not point out a leak caused by a bad lower seal though.
          I agree, your spray lube isn’t even reaching those stubborn exhaust cover screw threads. Like you say, the caked up salt has sealed up the screw shank quite well. You can try heat, but those darn screw heads get buggered up pretty quickly. You may just want to drill the head of the stuck screw(s) right off so the cover can be removed. Once the cover is off, the caked up corrosion will no longer be an issue. You can grab the protruding screw shank with vice grips, apply some more heat and patience, the broken screw stud will probably give in and come out for you.
          Good luck, I know how these mysteries become our most important missions sometimes…

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

….after heating up the surrounding engine block

then try deep freezing the bolt head only…… with a can of keyboard air blower ($4 Dollar store) held upside down for 15seconds (try not to inhale the stuff)

then try with the1/4” impact driver

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
            JOHN HOLBIK
            Participant

you arent storing your motor with the power head lower than than the gear case.Cds are really prone to seizing if stored this way.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

you arent storing your motor with the power head lower than than the gear case.Cds are really prone to seizing if stored this way.

Good point!

andy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

john, thank you for the knowledge but no, I store my motors upright just like they sit on the boat. You’ve heard of the acid test? I forgot what that phrase means exactly but I tested muriatic acid (pool strength, 29%) as I described in an earlier post. I chose the bolt I thought would be the hardest to get out, the lower rear. I first cleaned the area with a wire bush, brake clean and compressed air. I applied the acid with a regular cotton swab just enough to soak the base of the bolt head and not drip. If it did drip I wiped the excess off with a rag. I let it sit around 10 minutes or until the bubbles stopped. Then I washed the area with brake clean and blew it dry with compressed air. The idea being I wanted full strength acid to soak in and not have it diluted with the spent acid. I repeated this 8 times, sometimes letting the acid soak longer. I was worried the acid could do damage but I see none. I will try a longer soak the next time. After all that, the bolt wouldn’t budge with a hand impact or my small Milwaukee 18V impact so I soaked it with penetrating oil for 3 days. The Milwaukee moved the bolt maybe a 32nd of a turn on day 3 but the hardened bit broke. I repaired the bit with a cut-off tool but it snapped off again after several 1 second trigger pulls. I think the small cordless impact is better than the hand impact at loosening a stuck bolt but the cordless is a lot more likely to break the bit. After a few more days soaking with oil and using the hand impact, the bolt came out whole. We’ll see how it goes with the rest of the bolts but so far it looks good for my theory of removing the aluminum oxide with the acid, then soaking with oil. Some heat would probably have sped things up in stage 2 but I didn’t have time as I was just spending a minute on my way out to work and a minute when I got back.

acid

out

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by andy.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
                  bobw
                  Participant

US Member

Strange – that’s the same location of the exhaust cover screw that gave me so much trouble on my QD-20 restoration. Never tried acid soak before but got all the others out with some heat. But that last one took 3 days of heating with the MAPP gas and soaking with penetrating oil before I got it out. Patience almost always wins out.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 18 volt Milwaukee cordless is what I have, too. I use a Snap-on bit, though. I forget what it cost; but it’s probably in the $35 range. No cheap; but it’s the best there is. Harbor Freight may have a great guarantee but sometimes, you would just rather get the job done, rather than go back to the store over and over. (Especially, in THESE times.) I also used Mapp gas on my salty FD exhaust bolts.

How do you like breathing muriatic acid fumes? I used some of that, to get what was left of a thrown Tecumseh snow blower engine connecting rod off a crankshaft. It works great; but, even outside with a light wind, I couldn’t believe how bad the fumes were!

Long live American manufacturing!

andy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bill,
                        Funny you should mention a snap-on bit. The other day I searched literally for hours for a high quality bit for this job and ended up buying a used Snap-on bit from ebay. It’s scheduled to arrive on Wed. As for the fumes, I’m sure they’re poisonous/toxic. When I put acid in my pool I hold my breath when I use it. For this job I poured maybe a half ounce into a small glass jar and dipped the cotton swab into the acid, then the bolt. I’m not sure why but the fumes were not noticeable. As for Harbor Freight, I never heard of them but did hear of a similar name, see the ads below.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.