Home Forum Ask A Member '57 Fastwin reed question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve Martin
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’m an experienced mechanic but am brand new to 2 strokes. The manual says there should be a gap not to exceed .010 between the end of the reed petal and the plate. I have no clearance at all on any petals. What problem, if any will this cause? The reeds appear to be otherwise in good condition. Thanks

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

it is probably a “limit not to exceed” so the downstroke of the piston will be able to close the reeds shut ensuring the crankcase pressure will expel all burnt vapors from the cylinder via the cyl. exhaust ports instead of spitting it back out the carb face…should the reeds be opened up .

the important aspect is that the reeds actually open to let the fresh fuel vapors into the crankcase and not back out.

my understanding of it anyway….. so it looks like your reeds are fitted perfectly

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by crosbyman.
        frankr
        Participant

In a perfect world, there will be no gap under the reeds. Sounds like you said your prayers and live in a perfect world.

Steve Martin
          Participant

Thanks for the replies. My question is due to the manual stating the petals should not be in contact with the plate but with no more than .010 gap. I didn’t make that clear.

frankr
            Participant

Get a new manual.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Never heard that one before! Don’t mess with that reed plate…Loosening, rotating, flipping reeds over in an attempt to make the perfect fit usually ends up with broken reed petals…
                Why is it that you have the reed plate off to begin with?

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Some oils would stick the petals to the plate with age. Just be sure they will open. . .

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by garry-in-michigan. Reason: correcting double strike
                  billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Pretty much any 18 I have ever had opened up has had the reeds flat and touching. It’s fine. Good, even.

Long live American manufacturing!

Steve Martin
                    Participant

I appreciate all the help. With the carb removed can the petals be seen to move as the rope is pulled, or do they move that much? Sorry for all the rookie questions.

frankr
                      Participant

Trust me, they’ll move if the motor is any good. But probably not enough to see with the motor jiggling around as you pull the rope.
                        Let’s put it another way. The reeds are probably the most reliable and trouble-free active working part on the motor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.