Home Forum Ask A Member 57 Johnson Golden Javelin 35hp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    56crestliner
    Participant

Hello,

My name is Jeremy. I am new to this site. I have just acquired a 1 family owned 1956 Crestliner Voyager. It came with the original Johnson Golden Javelin, which had been stored in the basement for 20 plus years. It appears to be in good shape, but unfortunately is frozen. I’m guessing this is from corrosion and sitting. I really want to try to restore this boat and keep the original motor and in my opinion this is one of the prettiest looking outboards ever produced. I am mechanically inclined, but am not very familiar with outboards. I am used to small block chevys, you can’t go anywhere without tripping over parts for them. I have been doing a little poking around and have not been finding much in the order of replacement parts available, especially if I need to do a full rebuild. Is there some source for rebuild kits or do you pretty much have to depend on used parts? Any help on parts sources would be appreciated,
      Thanks,
      Jeremy

wedgie
      Participant

Welcome Jeremy.

You definitely came to the right place. Once you figure out what you need, You can place an add on the "free classifieds" board and you can be pretty much certain someone will have what you need. As for parts manuals, you can find most of them at : http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … -parts.php

Here are some good sources:

http://www.vintageoutboard.com/ Good source of kits.
        http://www.ganotech.com/ Excellent source, and good guy to deal with .
        oldoutboardjim@hotmail.com " The coil guy" Jim Judkins has good prices on coils. You will probably need coils.
        There are many more out there, but these are just 3 that I have bought from and been happy with.

The one thing that you may have trouble finding is the chrome pieces. If yours are in good shape you are golden !

Someone probably has your parts manual already scanned in a pdf file, so check back often.

pappy
        Participant

US Member

First off….welcome to the fold. Think you will enjoy it here.
          Now, there are plenty of parts out there for your 35hp. Almost all gaskets and seals and tune up kits are readily available through any reputable Evinrude dealer. Try and stay with OEM parts and tune up kits as they are more complete and there are no fitment issues to speak of.
          Yes, your engine is probably stuck due to sitting around. Hopefully just a little coaxing and some of your favorite break free solution will do the trick. If not then stick around as we are here to help you get it running and back on the water. Any decent SBC guy can do this and learn to like it! Welcome!

scoots
          Participant

Here are a couple of links for you to check out:
            http://javelin1957.com/
            http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Default.htm – tuning-up a small OMC outboard is very similar to tuning a larger one and ignore the ridiculous warnings regarding pressurized fuel tanks – everyone that has one likes them, me included and I’m a real safety nerd!

wedgie
            Participant

Bunch of service manuals here 😉

http://www.agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html

56crestliner
              Participant

thanks for the replies and links, gives me a little more confidence that I’ll be able to revive it. I’m soaking the cylinders in kroil as we speak to see if I can free it up.

Thanks again,
                Jeremy

reivertom
                Participant

I have one too and it is a great motor. I wish I had a boat like yours to stick it on. When you do everything right and get the carb adjusted right, they will purr like a kitten and will be very dependable. I ran mine for about 8 years in the ’90s as my fishing motor until the old boat it was on rotted too bad. It never let me down and amazed my friends. I agree with keeping it original and use the pressure tank…..they have worked just fine since the 1940s.

chris-p
                  Participant

I am a fan of the Javelin as well, I have about 8 of them, lol

PM me with your email and ll send parts manuals and service manuals.

If it is just stuck from sitting, should free up . If you need parts, let me know.

Welcome to the club!

Oh yeah, post some pictures when you can.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hopefully, the engine is just lightly stuck, and probably does NOT need to be torn down. Let us know once you get the powerhead freed up, so we can help you proceed. You may want to check/drain the gearcase lube as well now, to see if any water is present. There are two fill/drain screws that need to be removed, one is hidden under the front of the bullet/skeg, only visible from underneath. Please DO NOT remove the little phillips screw that is located down near the lower drain screw. Removing the phillips screw will dislodge the shifting linkage and require gearcase teardown in order to get everything back in place.
                      Feel free to post some pictures also, most all the parts you will need are readily available from many sources, including OEM from BRP/Evinrude. Be sure to find a decent service manual to review before getting started also.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.