Home Forum Ask A Member 57 Johnson Javelin runs and then stops after about 40 seconds

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    h20lew
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Happy to report I elevated the gas tank to sit on top of an inverted garbage can and coiled up the hose to take up the slack – and success! – It would stay running beyond 40 seconds. Thanks everyone.

seakaye12
      Participant

Happy to report I elevated the gas tank to sit on top of an inverted garbage can and coiled up the hose to take up the slack – and success! – It would stay running beyond 40 seconds. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like a comparison test of various fuel pumps might be in order. A lot of us use Mikuni/Briggs and Stratton/Clones which are intended mainly for garden tractors and the like. Their function there is more to supply a steady pressure-regulated fuel flow from a tank at or nearly at the level of the carburetor. Just a “gravity feed enhancer/regulator”. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a pump of that nature fail in the way you describe…..but not so much with an oversized OMC pump. I wonder if your pump is faulty?

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I reported recently that one of my spare CHINA OMC square pump failed the blow test ….took it apart 10 times & rebuilt same thing ?? air kept coming out the mounting holes from both the IN and the OUT ….I will retry a part for part swap with a known good pump when time permits

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
          kerry
          Participant

After my failed run test of a Mikuni pump conversion, I researched and found they were rated at 24″ of lift. That’s when I tried elevating my tank and had a sucessful run. Lift is not usually found in the descriptions of various pumps, so be aware of this limitation.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

need2fish
            Participant

I had 2 RDs with similar issues. As a teenager I wasn’t smart enough to test for all the possibilities — I was too busy trying to short-circuit the process so i could get back on the lake.

I never bothered to check the coils — didn’t figure it out until I was in my early twenties and all my 950s-70s were failing… the coils had fine cracks in them and as an engine started to warm up, the coils expanded and windings were separating. Leaving a motor to cool for about an hour would allow the coils to shrink so I could start the whole process again.

h20lew
              Participant

Coils were new and good in this case – but good know. I’ve attached a photo of the fuel pump I was working with.

IMG_1701-1

seakaye12
                Participant

I stared at that picture for a bit; it looks like the hose from the pump to the filter magically reduces in size (diameter) from one end to the other. I’m sitting here thinking….sheesh where do you find hoses like that? then the optical illusion starts to set in…..there are two hoses there; the view of the rear-ward one is blocked.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A little confused, is that an OEM pump, or aftermarket? Why did you add the little filter after the pump, the pump should have a filter screen behind the cap, at least OEM pumps do. That pump is mounted upside down, some of the OMC fuel pumps will not operate properly upside down…

h20lew
                    Participant

There are two hoses – big one is the suction, little one is the discharge and yes one is in front of the other in the photo. Pump is an OMC pump I bought over 10 years ago – pump was similar to attached pic from Marine Engine – not sure if that was this exact one. Could try flipping it – I may have inverted it when I reassembled with the new powerhead. The hose configuration is the same as I had when it worked on the older powerhead but the cap can rotate on the base if I remember right. I can see where dual filters in series could cause an issue… I like the clear one since I can see when gas is going though similar to the old glass ones.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-07-at-1.16.00-PM

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It looks like the vertical throttle rod is rubbing on the hoses also, not an issue now, but may create a fuel leak down the road…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.