58 5.5 Evinrude value

Home Forum Ask A Member 58 5.5 Evinrude value

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)

• hornet

Replies: 7
    Topics: 6

I want to make an offer on a 58 Evinrude 5.5. I have no idea what it’s worth. I’ll try to describe its condition. Paint very shiny with only a few minor scuffs. Decals excellent. Everything original and appears to have been used maybe 10 times or less. No tank. Not currently running. Would need impeller, points , coils, etc. thanks

hornet

60510602-5DF4-46CD-BBA0-C24927A3BE89

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

A real beauty, but not a 1958. Try 1957

grunt

Replies: 11
    Topics: 3

That is definitely a 1957.
    I paid $350 usd for mine in a little better condition

s-l1600

hornet

Did you pay $350 ready to run or did it need tune up and impeller?

grunt

Replies: 11
    Topics: 3

It is running and is ready to run.
    But the shipping added $225 to the total cost.
    Plus the currency exchange and border fees.
    The 4 gallon pressure tank was included in the costs

lindy46

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

If yours needs points, coils, condensers, impeller (the usual tune-up stuff) and also a pressure tank, that could cost you $200-300 alone. Adjust price accordingly. I’d also check compression before buying. It looks great on the outside, but I always rely on the old adage “let the buyer beware”.

bullie

Replies: 416
    Topics: 57

If I was in the market for a nice Evinrude of that vintage, that one is nice enough for me to pay a little more than normal. I have some I paid $75 for that run good….but they don’t look that nice.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

That 57 Fisherman is in beautiful cosmetic condition for sure. The question is whether or not it’s mechanical condition is that nice also. Do a close inspection, checking compression, looking at the gear lube condition (will probably be dark brown/black which is OK). Have a close look for damaged/cracked castings that may have resulted from being dropped or mishandled. You will need to assume the engine needs an ignition and fuel system overhaul, as well as a new water pump impeller, unless the owner can show it was properly serviced somewhat recently. The final question is whether or not the engine includes a decent (not rusted) pressure tank.
    My last question is how much do you want this particular hp/year engine? You would be hard pressed to find another one in such nice cosmetic condition. If this engine is a “must have”, then you should be willing to pay a little more for it. Does the owner have an asking price? If so, what is that price? Don’t insult the seller with a low ball offer, that might just turn him off to selling you the engine at all. You can use the fact that the engine will need a good amount of servicing before it can be used regularly. The lack of a pressure tank (or if its tank is internally fouled/rusted) is a great negotiating point also….

hornet

Its condition is the only reason I’m interested. I do like it but not a must have. I do have a good tank so that’s not an issue. I’m still undecided what to offer. I need to get back to owner soon. Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.