58 5.5 Evinrude value

Home Forum Ask A Member 58 5.5 Evinrude value

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  billw 3 hours, 36 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• hornet

Replies: 7
    Topics: 6

I want to make an offer on a 58 Evinrude 5.5. I have no idea what it’s worth. I’ll try to describe its condition. Paint very shiny with only a few minor scuffs. Decals excellent. Everything original and appears to have been used maybe 10 times or less. No tank. Not currently running. Would need impeller, points , coils, etc. thanks

hornet

Attachments:

frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3790
    Topics: 42

A real beauty, but not a 1958. Try 1957

grunt

Replies: 10
    Topics: 2

That is definitely a 1957.
    I paid $350 usd for mine in a little better condition

Attachments:

hornet

Did you pay $350 ready to run or did it need tune up and impeller?

grunt

Replies: 10
    Topics: 2

It is running and is ready to run.
    But the shipping added $225 to the total cost.
    Plus the currency exchange and border fees.
    The 4 gallon pressure tank was included in the costs

lindy46
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 231
    Topics: 16

If yours needs points, coils, condensers, impeller (the usual tune-up stuff) and also a pressure tank, that could cost you $200-300 alone. Adjust price accordingly. I’d also check compression before buying. It looks great on the outside, but I always rely on the old adage “let the buyer beware”.

bullie
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 427
    Topics: 59

If I was in the market for a nice Evinrude of that vintage, that one is nice enough for me to pay a little more than normal. I have some I paid $75 for that run good….but they don’t look that nice.

fleetwin
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2426
    Topics: 27

That 57 Fisherman is in beautiful cosmetic condition for sure. The question is whether or not it’s mechanical condition is that nice also. Do a close inspection, checking compression, looking at the gear lube condition (will probably be dark brown/black which is OK). Have a close look for damaged/cracked castings that may have resulted from being dropped or mishandled. You will need to assume the engine needs an ignition and fuel system overhaul, as well as a new water pump impeller, unless the owner can show it was properly serviced somewhat recently. The final question is whether or not the engine includes a decent (not rusted) pressure tank.
    My last question is how much do you want this particular hp/year engine? You would be hard pressed to find another one in such nice cosmetic condition. If this engine is a “must have”, then you should be willing to pay a little more for it. Does the owner have an asking price? If so, what is that price? Don’t insult the seller with a low ball offer, that might just turn him off to selling you the engine at all. You can use the fact that the engine will need a good amount of servicing before it can be used regularly. The lack of a pressure tank (or if its tank is internally fouled/rusted) is a great negotiating point also….

hornet

Its condition is the only reason I’m interested. I do like it but not a must have. I do have a good tank so that’s not an issue. I’m still undecided what to offer. I need to get back to owner soon. Thanks

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1903
    Topics: 108

[i] There is one motor I let
    slip away that I would gladly pay three times what
    they were asking if I had the chance to buy it again.
    I don’t spend much time thinking about the motors I may
    have paid too much for. Its the ones I let slip away that
    keep bugging me.[/i]

• This reply was modified 3 days, 21 hours ago by Tubs Tubs.
    • This reply was modified 3 days, 21 hours ago by Tubs Tubs.

hornet

I have paid more for must have items before and I understand that concept. As I said before this is not a must have item. I’m ok if it “slips away”. I’m just trying to come up with a fair value to offer. Thanks

reivertom
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 580
    Topics: 30

If it is worth it to you, within reason, grab it and don’t look back. Don’t worry about what somebody bought one just like it for, 5 years ago at a flea market………..Buy it and have fun. I’d give 400 for a nice one like that, that doesn’t need a total re-paint, or even a bit more if it truly only has 10 hours on it. If you are like me, you aren’t buying these things to re-sell and make a bunch of money, you are buying them for the fun of running them and getting an old motor back on the water after sitting in a garage for 50 years. It doesn’t hurt if they are pretty to look at also. If you pay a little too much, it will be forgotten in a few years .

• This reply was modified 3 days, 13 hours ago by  reivertom.

aquasonic
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 301
    Topics: 29

Motors in that kind of condition don’t come along every day. Sometimes you have to “pay up” a little more than you would like in order to secure the deal. Like Tubs, I have stubbornly stuck on a price, say $50.00 less than the seller wants, only to lose out on the deal. Once it’s gone, it’s gone, and yes, there may be regrets.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 1 hour ago by  aquasonic.

fleetwin
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2426
    Topics: 27

OK, so what you are saying is that the owner has asked you for an offer, he has not provided an asking price….
    Go ahead and offer him $200 and see what happens….Be prepared to come up a bit if you want it, I too have paid much more for engines of this vintage in real nice shape.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.