Home Forum Ask A Member 58 5.5 Evinrude value

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

There is one motor I let
      slip away that I would gladly pay three times what
      they were asking if I had the chance to buy it again.
      I don’t spend much time thinking about the motors I may
      have paid too much for. Its the ones I let slip away that
      keep bugging me.

hornet
      Participant

I have paid more for must have items before and I understand that concept. As I said before this is not a must have item. I’m ok if it “slips away”. I’m just trying to come up with a fair value to offer. Thanks

reivertom
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If it is worth it to you, within reason, grab it and don’t look back. Don’t worry about what somebody bought one just like it for, 5 years ago at a flea market………..Buy it and have fun. I’d give 400 for a nice one like that, that doesn’t need a total re-paint, or even a bit more if it truly only has 10 hours on it. If you are like me, you aren’t buying these things to re-sell and make a bunch of money, you are buying them for the fun of running them and getting an old motor back on the water after sitting in a garage for 50 years. It doesn’t hurt if they are pretty to look at also. If you pay a little too much, it will be forgotten in a few years .

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by reivertom.
          aquasonic
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Motors in that kind of condition don’t come along every day. Sometimes you have to “pay up” a little more than you would like in order to secure the deal. Like Tubs, I have stubbornly stuck on a price, say $50.00 less than the seller wants, only to lose out on the deal. Once it’s gone, it’s gone, and yes, there may be regrets.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by aquasonic.
            fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so what you are saying is that the owner has asked you for an offer, he has not provided an asking price….
              Go ahead and offer him $200 and see what happens….Be prepared to come up a bit if you want it, I too have paid much more for engines of this vintage in real nice shape.

hornet
              Participant

That’s correct. Owner would not give price. He said make an offer and if it’s fair we’ll go from there. I offered $250 and was turned down. Said he wanted a couple hundred more than that. So I assume it would take $450. That was as is no tank.

chris-p
                Participant

I agree with TUBS, the only motors I think about are the ones I missed trying to be cheap! They haunt me lol.

I pay more than a motor is worth all the time if I really want it.

But at 450, and you say its not a must have for you, I would say walk away. That’s just my 2 cents though.

The Boat House
                  Participant

I would still let him know that you
                    wish him the best of luck but your
                    offer is still good in the event he
                    doesn’t fine anyone interested in
                    it. Then if he should come back to
                    you and your no longer interested
                    just tell him that. I don’t think he
                    is going to have much success
                    at what he is asking so if he really
                    does want to sell it you could here
                    from him again.

hornet
                    Participant

Thanks everyone. I have decided to pass on motor. I would have $600 in it to get it going. Also as a 5.5 hp it would really be a show piece that I would never really run.

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For what it’s worth, that was a beautiful motor, for sure. If you really like that kind of thing, it would be worth it. Personally, while the 5.5s are nice, smooth runners, I think they are kind of boring to actually run on a boat. They can barely plane a very light boat; yet they are a little too heavy to be good for a tender motor. I never did understand how they sold so darn many of them. (And that’s another thing…….they are common, common, common, albeit nice.) To me, if it had been a 10 or 18, now that would be a different story. If I bought a 5.5 for that much money, it would be going to the grave with me; because I could never sell it again, without taking a catastrophic loss.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by billw.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.