58 Evinrude 35 Grounding Issue?

Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Evinrude 35 Grounding Issue?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)

• Gary Richey

Replies: 27
    Topics: 8

Hi – I just joined the club and I have a very pressing question regarding my engine, a 1958 Evinrude 35 and would appreciate any help at all. I bought this engine along with a 14 ft Whitehouse and a trailer, (an original one owner package) a year ago. The boat sat in a garage for the last 50 years. Engine was not run. I learned the reason the boat was put away – bad lower unit. I rebuilt the unit and I believe it is good now. Prior to that though, I was able to turn the key (has electric start) and the engine would turn over, electric choke worked, compression good. I disconnected all the cables, fuel line, etc, pulled the motor, and worked on it in my shop. I replaced coils, plugs, points, condensers, carb rebuild, new battery. I then put the motor back on the boat, reconnected the cables. Here’s my problem – now when I turn the key I get nothing, not a click from the selenoid, nothing at all happens. It’s like the engine is not grounded. If I put jumper cables from the battery to the starter the motor turns over fine. So, prior to my work, turning the key turned the motor over like it should, now I get nothing. Has to be something simple, something basic that I forgot to do or check. I’m not good with diagnostic equipment (meter, circuit light) but I do have them. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. I’d like to get this old girl back in the water, thanks, Gary

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Easy. The wing nut holding the cable to the side of the motor is a ground connection. To prove it, ground the motor to the battery with the negative battery only

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

The 2nd small terminal (the other one one goes to the starter ignition starter switch) on the solenoid gets it’s ground through the position-sensing mercury switch on the throttle linkage. If the mercury switch is bad, or the throttle turned up too far, the solenoid coil does not have ground on one end and the solenoid will not energize.
    Dave

Gary Richey

Thank you for the tip. I hooked a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to a good grounding spot on the engine and then turned the key – nothing. I believe that rules out a “bad/no ground”. The battery is new and charged. Its frustrating because it worked before I started my labors. and now turning the key results in nothing.

Gary Richey

Thank you Dave. Where is the mercury switch? Is it in the solenoid “box”. I checked my throttle and it was pushed pretty well forward so I pulled it back to what would be a low rpm level. Same results.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

OK, let’s back up and start over.

1. First, do you still have the junction box in the boat and cable plug on the side of the motor? I ask because so many have been hard-wired over the years.

2. You say you have a “meter” but don’t know how to use it. Is it a multimeter (checks voltage, resistance, etc)? Do you at least know how to check DC Volts? Or willing to learn?

If we knew the answers to these questions, it would be easier to help you.

EDIT: One other question, key turned on, does the electric choke work when you push the button?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by frankr.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Post some pictures as well, especially of the wiring and junction box, perhaps the key switch also…

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

The Mercury switch is on the side of the motor about an inch from where the tip of the remote throttle linkage connects. You can see it without opening up the shroud. Some models have two mercury switches there – look for a small silver part with a wire coming out of it . This part moves (tips back) when you advance the throttle. It is a position sensing switch. When the throttle is set low, mercury inside the part electrically shorts the wire to it’s case , which is grounded via its mounting screw.
    Dave

Gary Richey

The junction box is there and appears be original. No apparent “custom wiring”. I had to replace the ignition switch because the boat came with no key. The boat had the original Evinrude switch and I was able to locate a key that matched the number on the switch. My new key woudn’t turn though so I ordered an after market switch. It was after installation of the new switch that I was able to turn the key and the motor turned over. Now it doesn’t. I will check the mercury switch and I will post some pictures. Thank you for the replies I have received.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Gary Richey.

Gary Richey

The boat has the junction box and cable plug. I have a multi meter and a light (with probe and small clamp, lights up when it measures electricity and gives a readout of voltage. I would really need to be walked through as to how to use them though (I’m a willing learner). My new ignition switch replaced the original button that operated the choke. Now I push in the key/switch (when I turn the key) for the choke.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.