Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Evinrude 35 Grounding Issue?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

OK, I am going to give you the “Long Story”. Yes there are shortcuts, but I want you to see the big picture and understand how it works.

To do anything, electricity must flow in a circuit, from the source (battery + ) and back to the source (battery – ). So, I am posting a wiring diagram for you to follow. Your voltage indicating light is good enough for this operation. Start off by connecting it to the battery (-) terminal and leave it there for the duration of the test. Use an extension wire if necessary.

1. Notice from the diagram, a heavy cable runs between the battery and one side of the solenoid. So touch your light to that side of the solenoid,, and it lights up, right? That tells you that electricity gets that far, and now we are going to follow it the rest of the way through the circuit.

2. There is a green wire from where you are, leading to the “B” post on the key switch. Touch your light to that “B” post. Should light up.

3. When you turn the key to “Start”, electricity is directed to the “S” terminal on the switch. Touch your light there and turn key to start. Should light up.

4. Now, a white wire leaves the “S” terminal and back to one of the small posts on the solenoid. Touch your light there and turn the key to start. Should light up

5. Electricity flows through a coil inside the solenoid and out the other small post. Touch your light there and it should NOT light up. Why? Because that post is grounded through the mercury switch. BUT if it DOES light up, the mercury switch is not grounding it. Reason might be a broken wire, or throttle position set too far toward fast, or mercury switch case not grounded.

6. Last test, touch your light to an unpainted spot on the powerhead and turn the key to start. Should NOT light up. Again, because it is grounded through the negative battery cable. If it does light up, there is a problem with the engine ground.

7. Throughout this, I have ignored the cable plug on the side of the motor. If any tests fail, suspect a problem wit that plug.

Wiring-1958_61-35_40hp-without-generator-kit-fr

Gary Richey
      Participant

Frankr – I want to thank you for your detailed help. I think, however, that my electrical lesson will be postponed awhile. I revisited my throttle linkage and determined that it was not completely reconnected. I manually turned back the steering bracket throttle (not with the throttle cable running to the upfront controls, which I disconnected). I turned the key and SUCCESS!!! It turns over!! That being said though, I have very little travel in the throttle cable. The upfront lever only moves about an inch. I’m guessing the cable needs to be lubricated? Remember, the motor sat for 50 years. How does one lubricate the cable (rubber-like casing with a wire inside). Or do I replace the cable with a new one?

frankr
        Participant

If the cable truly is the culprit, all I can say is that I fought those things for years (trying to lubricate them, etc). I finally got smarter and just slap a new cable on. The new cables are light-years better than the old rubber covered ones anyway. Having said that, the motor has to be in forward gear before the throttle will move very far.

Gary Richey
          Participant

There’s a learning curve here. I had no idea the throttle setting had to be set low for the motor to turn and I had no idea it had to be in forward for the throttle cable to have full travel. Thank you guys for the help. Now my forward//neutral/reverse cable seems to be stuck. It’s been a work in progress but I believe the motor is a good one and I’m making progress, that is what is important. I’ll be reaching out for more help soon, I’m sure. Thanks again, Gary

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

And you won’t always be able to shift into either gear when the engine is not running, just like you can’t always put a manual shift car into gear when it is not running….
              Have an assistant spin the propeller while in neutral, then try shifting into either gear…. You should be always be able to shift out of either gear into neutral though….But, once again, the throttle has to be set down low, or else the neutral throttle interlock/limiter might prevent you from shifting out of gear….I think….
              Nothing wrong with a learning curve, the key word is “learning”….
              Post some pictures of this nice old Evinrude…
              PS: Be sure the plug wires are pulled off and the key switch is off before you assistant spins the propeller…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by fleetwin. Reason: addition
              outbdnut2
              Participant

If you find you need a new cable, the replacement is Teleflex 400 series aftermarket cables. They are sold premade to the length you need in one foot increments, and price is around $30 . Use the cable ends you have now on the new cables. Here is one source: https://www.boatersland.com/enginesystems-controlcables-tel400.html

Dave

Gary Richey
                Participant

A few pics

frankr
                  Participant

A nice example of the boats of the day. Brings back memories.

Gary Richey
                    Participant

Today was a big day – I squirted a bit of starter fluid into the carb for the first time AND IT RAN!!!!! for a couple seconds, then tried it again, and then one more time. I’ve been wearing a smile ever since. So, my new question – I have the original Cruis-A-Day Hi-Lift Fuel Tank and it appears to be in good, clean condition – no dried gas, etc. Float is good, tube with screen is good. My fuel lines, however, are as old as the hills and need to be replaced. The bulb/primer looks good, but it’s just as old too. I want to replace everything, and with new clamps too. To me, the line looks like 5/16″ ID. Is that correct? I did some research and learned about the new fuel line designations (A1, A2, B1, etc.). Do I want the A1-15 fuel line? Could someone recommend a vender that sells a good quality product (fuel line, bulb, and hose clamps? The two fuel line fittings that clamp to the tank and to the motor look good. I’m not planning on replacing them. Thank you for the continued help. I’m in a much better spot now than I was before joining the AOMC.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

Some of the guys here don’t like aftermarket fuel lines, and for a while there was a lot of real junk out there, but I’ve found the one in the link below to be good.
                        Note they don’t list motors that it fits going back as far as our motors, but the connectors are correct.
                        Dave

https://www.iboats.com/shop/sierra-johnson-evinrude-silverado-4000-3-8-id-epa-fuel-line-assembly-8-18-8009ep-1.html

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.