Home Forum Ask A Member 580871 kit installation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Stack
    Participant

I am trying to install replacement universal mag plate kit #580871 on Johnson QD-19. When installed per instructions and screws tightened down, the mag plate is locked down and will no longer turn, as it should. Does anyone have experience with these kits and know the solution? I have been told by several others that this kit will work with QD-19. All ignition components installed correctly, just cannot get mag plate to turn when installed per the instructions. Thanks!

olcah
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I ran into similar problems putting a replacement kit onto a 54 Evinrude 25 HP. In the end I wound up machining the new magplate to make it fit. Since then I have just bought NOS original magplates.

frankr
        Participant

I have installed a number of them without any problem, so I do not know what went wrong with yours.

Armature-Plate-Update-Kit

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have little or no experience with these kits….But, are you sure it is the kit that is causing the binding? I have found that some new OEM coils have screws that are slightly too long and cause the mag plate to bind… You might try loosening coil screws slightly to see if this is the issue…

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

install the mag plate and ensure it rotates freely on its own

then screw down (install) and increase tension on the screws (bolts) for the retaining ring 315590 and see what happens

I use a sish kabob pick inserted in the bolt holes of the plate to line up the plate and retaining ring bolt holes then I insert the bolts

if it begins to bind and stops rotating freely ..find out why

315950 needs the tappered side DOWN if my memory is ok and pictures of parts on the QD21

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
              Participant

315950 is not the tapered ring used on original set-up. Tom, you aren’t trying to use any of the original parts —-are you? You must use all of the new parts that come with the kit. Yes, even the ground wire because the new mounting rings are non-conductive.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by frankr.
                • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by frankr.
                Tom Stack
                Participant

Thanks. Only works with old support ring reinstalled. New support ring is too shallow.

frankr
                  Participant

Never experienced that problem. So be it, I suppose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.