Home Forum Ask A Member 59 Evinrude 18hp pull start problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hello,
      The pull starter on my 59 18 is acting up. The rope comes out about half way before the pawls engage the flywheel. What causes this? Is it a parts or a lubrication problem?

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Is this a new development ? If not, check the pulley to see if it’s properly aligned (there should be an arrow on the housing indicating position).
        With any luck at all, your rope is too long, so all you’d need to do is trim it and reattach the handle.

wiscoboater
        Participant

I’m not sure if this is a new problem as this is a new to me old motor. On the pull starter I did see on the bottom of the (forgive me for not knowing my terminology here) wheel/pulley the rope is in some wording about align the arrow… but I did not see anything on the housing with an arrow?

wiscoboater
          Participant

If it helps at all judging by the looks of the pull rope I believe it is the original. It is black with dirt and grease, but still in good condition.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Clean out the pivot hole in the center of the nylon pawl, (Q-tip dipped in Marvel Mistry oil.) Clean the pivot pin. Clean the slot the steel spring rides in with a piece of string, but do not lubricate. I was using a spray on silicon lub on the nylon. It doesn’t attract dirt or harden like grease.

. . . . . 😉

retiredoz
              Participant

The arrow on the housing is on a little square piece, sometimes it gets gooked or worn.

wiscoboater
                Participant

I found the arrow after looking at it again. it was caked with dirt and oil. It seems the rope is about a foot to long. or too short? could go either way I guess. I will try cleaning as garry suggested before shortening the rope. Thank you for your pointers I will report back with my progress.

johnyrude200
                  Participant

Listen to everyone else, good suggestions – I’ve had this issue countless times. Generally it’s because the rope snapped at some point and some DIY tried fixing it but did it wrong. Pull the rope all the way out and see how much you have, if it’s over 4-5 feet it’s too much and you can cut the slack. The service manuals do a good job of explaining how to fix this, but the two most important details is getting the right length and making sure the spinning part/carousel is lined up with the arrow once retracted. If it isn’t, even if it’s off by an inch, the pawl won’t move out and grab the flywheel the right way and this is quite annoying. Also a great way to break the pawl in a hurry, especially for people who don’t know how to properly use the manual starter in the first place.

As everyone else said, make sure the pawl and butterfly looking spring which wraps around the center dowel is lubed up well. I usually just soak the whole thing down with PB-Blaster and pull it over a few times. If the rope is right and the starter was wound correctly when repaired, that usually fixes everything. Otherwise get ready to do a minor repair (it’s not that hard, you can do it with a manual).

lloyd
                    Participant

Do NOT install a rope that is too short as that is the number one cause for broken ropes and subsequent broken recoil springs. Can’t remember the exact length for the OMC 18 off hand but it is just over 5 feet ( 60 some inches). Better to start with rope that is too long and then shorten until the arrow lines up with the mark. 4-5 feet is too short.

johnyrude200
                      Participant

new rope length, if necessary, should be 72.25" long, thanks for the tip Lloyd. This was from a 20hp manual, but it’s the same set up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.