Home Forum Ask A Member 59 Evinrude 18hp pull start problem

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Starting a motor properly involves resting one hand on the hood while pulling the starter rope with the other. Roping the motor over this way makes it impossible to pull out more than three or four feet of rope. If two hands are used on the starter rope while standing at the same time, six feet or more could easily be pulled out breaking the rope at the knot. What method does this fellow use to start his motor?

wiscoboater
      Participant

I use your method Mumbles. Can’t say what the guy before me did. Being a 59 that made many a trip to Canada according to the previous owner, I’m sure it has had quite a few different guys yanking on it. I will have to pull the rope to it’s full length carefully and see how long it actually is. Wont know for sure till I do that.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The length of the starter rope is important to ensure that the starter pawl engages the catch on the flywheel when the rope is pulled in the shortest length possible. An alternate firing outboard with even compression will usually stop with both pistons half way down. The starter timing arrow is placed so the 4 degree pull needed the extend the pawl will put it just before the catch in the flywheel … However, many feel you can NEVER have too much starter rope … 😀

lloyd
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yes Scott. Thanks for the correction on the length of the rope. The point is that the longer the rope the better. Too short is a big problem. And owners that pull too far, like "rope Zilla".

wiscoboater
            Participant

My goal with this thing is to get it tuned to the point that it will start on half a pull. My old shoulder ain’t what it used to be.

wiscoboater
              Participant

Ok Guys, this is getting interesting.
                I pulled the rope all the way out and it measures 74" from the knot on the pulley to the back of the pull handle. I looked for the marks on the pulley and found there are TWO sets of marks. The first mark is about an inch wide along the edge of the pulley and is labeled " ARROW HERE WHEN RETRACTED" and the letter "E" is below that within the marks. To align with this I would need to remove 10" of rope.This would make my rope 64" total length. The second mark is also about an inch long and is labeled "ARROW HERE WHEN RETRACTED" and the letters below that within the marks are "J E". to align here I would need to remove 12" of rope. This would make my rope 62" in length. I’m guessing the E is for Evinrude and the JE is for Johnson Evinrude? Should I try the shorter one first and then move to the other if needed? Confused here.

retiredoz
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’d move the handle in the 10 inches, remount the starter and see how it cranks. I’m not convinced an inch or two will make much difference..

chris-p
                  Participant

I would shorten it the 10 inches, to the first mark you mentioned. Also, look into what rope you are using, should not break that easily~!

wiscoboater
                    Participant

@ Chris p
                      The rope has never broken. The original problem was it pulled half way out without engaging the flywheel. The rope is stout and in fine condition.

chris-p
                      Participant

Ah right sorry, was thinking about another thread. Brain Fart 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.