Home Forum Ask A Member 60° looper has no cylinder head gaskets?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

I just realized that these motors do not use head gaskets, rather gasket maker is put around the water orifices on the cylinder side. How do the cylinders create compression? Is it the flexible sleeve mated to the cylinder head which sets up the compression?

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The 60 degree motors use a large O-ring instead of a head gasket to seal the cylinders. Not sure how OMC came up with that idea but it works. I pulled the heads on my 1998 Evinrude a few years ago to look into an overheat problem and the factory O-rings were still in good shape. I did replace them with new ones.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

johnyrude200
        Participant

Are these big o-rings just outside of the sleeves? I did notice this rubber but wasn’t sure if it was part of the sleeve.

Thanks

bobw
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Not sure which ’97 model you have but on my ’98 Evinrude 115hp the O-rings were a separate piece. It’s been awhile since I worked on that motor but I don’t remember a sleeve.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the orings are laid into a groove on the block, perhaps they are compressed to the point where they just look like part of the block…
              And yes, the cylinder orings should be replaced every time the heads are removed. Use the sealer prescribed in the manual to avoid corrosion issues….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.