Home Forum Ask A Member 65 Sportwin surging at high speed

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Hey Will – did you buy a super fastwin from me (15hp) back at rocky hill? If so…have you put any good use to that box of carbs I gave you 🙂

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I haven’t seen the tank and line mentioned yet….Air leaks at the fuel fittings can leak air in but not fuel out, sometimes. Sometimes, the primer bulb gets hard; but that’s because you can find the check valve in the ball has not only fallen apart inside but worked itself back in, backwards! I have seen some of the newer, plastic tanks with the plastic pick up tube leaking air where it attaches at the top. I just repaired an oldie-but-goodie OMC, single hose, metal tank, where the whole brass pick up tube was cracked, up and down the length of the tube. (Maybe that’s why I found this one at the dump.) Anyway, the Cardinal rule of separating engine from boat, when trouble shooting, still may apply here. Just sayin’. I would try another tank and line before going too nuts on the motor….

Long live American manufacturing!

willg
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Bill,

My tank and hose are a known good set, as all of my other single line motors run fine on it. My tank is a newer OMC/BRP Duratank with a BRP 5/16 primer ball and BRP connectors.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, that’s good. It was just a thought. Stuff is all known good…..until it’s not….

Long live American manufacturing!

willg
            Participant

Will be running it tomorrow and see what happens

willg
              Participant

Ran it again today and still a no go 🙁 . Decided to check out the fuel system again so I pulled the fuel pump cap off and the filter is clean, float level looked a little bit low so I tweaked the float level slightly. High speed jet is clean as a whistle, and has 48 stamped on it. I assume this means 0.048" diameter?

chris-p
                Participant

Still sounds like a prop hub slipping. I know you said its new. Id still try another one.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

sorry….to ask . vent open ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

willg
                    Participant

My tank is self venting, OMC Duratank. Is the prop off a 58-63 Sportwin the same? If so I can try the prop off my 58 Sportwin and see if that helps.

cajuncook1
                      Participant

WILLG, a while back I trying to help a guy get his 1966 Evinrude 18hp running because it idle fine and run decent until about mid range. It would bog down and run like it was running too rich.

Just like you, he cleaned the carburetor spotless and everything set just right. Ignition was all new and had hood spark on both cylinders. Compression was good.

Come to find out it was a bad fixed high speed jet. You never know what others have done before you. Pappy, made a interesting comment that they were seeing some bad jets over the past couple of years that he suspects due sulfur compounds in the fuel causing damage to the brass jets.

After the jet was replaced all was good.

Just a what if. HOPE you get it resolved soon.

David T.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 58 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.