Home Forum Ask A Member 68 20hp Johnson Replacement Gears

• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pappy.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    morelor
    Participant

My Johnson outboard currently uses the following gears:

390970 – Forward Gear
      307485 – Reverse Gear
      308617 – Pinion Gear

I have been looking at the 377877 gear set which includes forward, reverse, and pinion gears. Based on the pictures that I have seen, it appears that the gears in this set are identical to the gears that I have. I was curious if anyone could tell me if this gear set would work as a replacement?

I just got a quote of $627.50 for the forward gear and $268.36 for the pinion gear so I’m trying to see if there are any other options.

Thanks in advance for the help!

weedlessdrive
      Participant

Buy another motor with that much money is what I would do. Or just look for another complete lower unit online or at a salvage yard.

morelor
        Participant

That’s what I will probably end up doing if it turns out that there are not any other compatible gears. The prices that I have seen for the 377877 gear set are typically around $75 – $100 which is a lot more reasonable.

Randy in Tampa
          Participant

You can probably find a whole gearcase from Doug Penn for less than that ($75) with a guarantee

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I have some gears and I sent you a PM (Private Message) but it says it is still in the outbox. Did you get it?

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I’m confused, what else is new…
                377877 comes up being a "head and bearing" costing $75, so I’m not sure where you got this part number or what you think is included.
                Why is it that you want to replace all the gears/pinion? Are they shot, or is your unit jumping out of forward gear?
                The original forward gear 378079 forward gear and bushing is still available from marineengine.com, costing $125. The clutch dog 305191 is available as well, costing $77.00
                So, I would order these parts quickly before everyone else finds out and beats you to them.
                If you really need all the gears/pinion, well you might want to look for another complete gearcase, although most are likely to have clutch dog wear.
                http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … n=Gearcase

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

Complete set of gears and propshaft on a Ebay. Item #231503995022. Price is decent or OBO!

Dan in TN

morelor
                  Participant

Wow, thank you all for the responses! It definitely helps me out.

Randy in Tampa – Thanks for the info about Doug Penn, I’m going to email him this evening to see what he has available.

FrankR – I sent you a PM

fleetwin – The problem that I was having is that it felt like I was hitting a log periodically. After checking out the gears and clutch dog, it appeared that they were not in the best shape. The pinion gear appears to be in pretty decent shape but I figured I would replace it while I was replacing the other parts.

In regard to part number 377877, it’s possible the items that I have seen are listed with the wrong part number. When I called an Evinrude dealer they seemed kind of confused by that part number as well. Here is the eBay item number for one of the gear sets that I was looking at that was listed with 377877 as the part number: 310917390675

t2stroke – Based on the pictures, that looks almost identical to what I have. I’m going to check with the seller to see if I can get some clearer pictures of the gears and clutch dog. Thanks for the info!

retiredoz
                    Participant

US Member

According to my ’69 Johnson Parts Ref guide, 377877 is a pinion gear for ’56-’59 15/18-hp. The same number appears in the ’75 issue as a gear set, but I suspect a misprint. The forward gear for your motor is 378079, according to the same source. Maybe your number superceded it ?

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

That super high priced forward gear you have been seeing is the upgraded gear with a roller thrust bearing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.