Home Forum Ask A Member 69 55hp Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hi Guys,
      I have a chance to pick up a 69 3 cylinder Johnson for next to nothing. It is electric start and the starter works and motor turns over freely and comes with the controls. I have never worked on a big 3 cylinder so I am looking at this as more of a learning tool then making anything off the purchase. looking at some tune up parts I see the points go for $65 a set 😯 . How hard are these to work on and are parts available? Also, when running is this a reliable design, or a big box of quirks?

beerman57
      Participant

There are some on ebay for $45 with free shipping, ebay #201265363988

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, this engine has the dreaded battery CD ignition, it also has the electric/hydraulic shift. Soooo, the engine probably isn’t worth messing with if it doesn’t come with a good control box and wiring harness.
          The ignition points on these engines rarely see much wear, and usually never need to be replaced. But, electrical parts are very expensive. So, you may want to make sure the engine has spark before you buy it. You might want to crack the lower gearcase drain screw to make sure the gearlube is OK as well.
          I would steer clear if the engine has no spark, and/or the gearlube is milky-water is present.

hugh
          Participant

I have 2 of them. a 1970 and a 71 60hp. The 70 came on my wife’s tri hull. I have spent more time and trouble on this motor than all the other motors I have together. I goes bad, I fool around with it, ask and get help, get help. It works again, then craps out again. 5 years if this. Was running good last year, but went crappy already this year. I yanked it off and put one of my fine running Chrysler’s in it’s place, with a plain magneto on it. I am done.
            Both are for sale for a song. Hope some one with take them, or I guess I will have to part them out. The one off her boat has 130+ comp too.
            It’s too bad, maybe just me, but they are "great motors", good power, easy on fuel. I am just to old for the crazy ignition on them
            I don’t mean to down them 😆 I’m just giving you my experance with them :mrgreen:

wiscoboater
            Participant

On of the things the seller said when I talked to him "the electrical wiring is deteriorated and probably needs to be redone". Red flag enough given the above comments. Even at his $75 asking price, I have enough trouble with the 28 or so motors I already have. I’ll pass on it.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It does has some historical significance, in that its ’68 brother was, IMHO, the proverbial banana peel that began OMCs fall from grace. You couldn’t GIVE me one of those motors. Not OMC’s finest hour, by a long shot.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Boy, you guys sure know how to trash talk a good motor. Evinrude called it a "Triumph" for good reason. Much lighter than the V-4 75hp and would go just as fast, and do it on less fuel than a 33. No drain valves dumping raw fuel in the lake either.

OK, the ignition system was state of the art for the day, but not today. But it did work if you know how to maintain it (and not abuse it). It’s too bad the Hydro-Electric shift gets such a bad rap. It was a good system. But there again, it had to be maintained properly. And the current price for a shift switch is a crime…about $400… if you can find one.

Parts and part prices are the big reason to avoid one, I suppose. But what else is new?

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I never saw an early one that would idle very well. I think that was my biggest objection to them. The automatic transmission Mercurys work well, also, when they’re maintained correctly. Like the automatics, the hydro-electric gear cases were a miracle to behold, engineering-wise. Really cool stuff. (Perhaps that because there was a really big-name engineer at least somewhat involved in both of them.) Were they the right product for the recreational market? Although I love my automatics, my personal answer would have to be "no."

Long live American manufacturing!

dan-in-tn
                    Participant

US Member

Im with Frank. ’68 was a long time ago. That motor was the first Loop Charged motor on the market! They idled very well as long as they had a good piston to cylinder wall fit, same as today with looper engines. It is true that Battery CD ignition was problematic, but guess what? That system is back today on latest DFI engines. Hard to believe and plenty has been learned, but all things old and new will eventually come back to be used again.
                      As far as electric shift, it worked well for many years. It had its weaknesses with regards primarily to regular maintenance. Something most marine engines don’t get! Again that system is also back now on big mutiple engine boats. They are driving those boats with just a joy stick. All computer programming. Does that put any fear in anyone’s heart?

Dan in TN

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

My mother-in-law’s new car has electric steering!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.