Home Forum Ask A Member 69 85 h.P. Evinrude stuck in Reverse ???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cannuck
    Participant

I’m trying to see the function of a electric shift. 2 solenoids reverse and neutral . The prop seems to turn when spin flywheel cant shift to neutral sitting not running probe wires can hear solenoids, took apart they work or so called move. does motor need to run with gear oil pump causing the shift??? I have gear case all apart to repair water in oil ,no it isn’t rusty and I don’t see what if anything could cause this . Is this just a function of the motor totally unfamiliar with this one .Doesn’t go into neutral position

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The electrical part only goes as far as the solenoids, which operate flow control valves in the oil pump. From there on, its all hydraulic. The motor is shifted by hydraulic pressure from the oil pump. When not running, the pump is not doing anything, so no pressure = no shift. That’s why they always default to forward gear when not running or some other failure. Was intended to be a safety feature. If something goes wrong, it goes into forward gear so you get home.

Sometimes.

cannuck
        Participant

Thanks for reply .I sent u a message.

frankr
          Participant

I got your PM, and I am going to attempt to answer it here for all to see. As I see it, your question is more or less what happens when you start the motor, since it is always in forward gear when stopped. OK, here goes:

When you start the motor, hopefully you have the control in neutral position. But the 1969 models could also be started with the control in gear, but at slow throttle settings, due to the safety switch on the motor. If you start it with the control in gear, yes the boat will move, just like any other motor. Starting with 1972 models, a start in neutral switch was in the control, forcing you to have it in neutral position before the starter would run.

Ok, the control is in neutral and you crank it up. The gearcase is in forward gear by default because there is no oil pressure. Does that mean it is going to take off? No. The oil pump is very efficient and will provide enough output to shift it to neutral within about one turn of the prop shaft at cranking speed. So what happens here is the control is in neutral, neutral solenoid has the neutral valve closed in the oil pump, and oil is directed to the clutch dog piston, moving it to neutral position on the prop shaft. All within one turn of the shaft.

Unintended boat movement is an unfortunate thing that can happen when you crank it up if the system has failed and it doesn’t do that shift to neutral within one turn of the shaft. I have never heard an official or unofficial comment from the factory on that. Personally, I think that was the reason they dropped the Hydro-Electric shift and went to power shift.

I hope this is written well enough to understand.

cannuck, check your PM box

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank,
              Sounds like a good system. Can you explain the power shift?

cannuck
              Participant

Absolutely it answered all my questions most clearly and I appreciate it.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the "power shift II" (or whatever they called the big gearcases in 1973) still had a hydraulic pump, but it was just an "assist" to help while manually shifting. The 1973 gearcases had shift control cables and shift rods just like conventional manual shift gearcases. The gearcase could still be shifted if the hydraulic assist failed, it just took a little more effort on the control box. There were NO electrical components/solenoids on the "power shift II-hydro mechanical" gearcases. These gearcases were very durable, and they used the standard gear lube as well.

frankr
                  Participant

Think of power steering on a car. Similar principle. Different doo-hickeys.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.