Home Forum Ask A Member 7.5hp OMC base gasket question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    adam1961
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I am working on a 1957 7.5 Johnson. When I look in my gaskets for the 304314 base gasket, I have a few versions under that number. My main question is should the small circle right above where the water tube comes up, about 1/2" in diameter, be solid, or should there be a hole. If it is solid, it will force the water along the passage in the power head, but I would think that there would be a lot of restriction. I have attached a photo of one on a powerhead. You can feel a hole in the bottom of the block behind the above mentioned round area of the gasket.

Attachments:

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

this should work
        https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collect … de-1956-58

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant

The gasket in your photo looks like a ’59 and later 313065 gasket which has been slightly modified by being slotted on the left side. These gaskets for thermostat motors have a hole in them for the cooling water and aren’t open in this area like the ’56 – ’58 304314 gaskets are. I really don’t think it makes much difference which gasket you use as the water seems to find its way thru here easily. The hole might have been meant to be a restrictor to help keep the motor at a certain temperature, but I’m not sure. Even one BRP 313065 gasket I bought sure looks a lot like a 304314 gasket, and that’s in a sealed package!

Attachments:

adam1961
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks guys,
            I will likely open mine up a bit more in the outlet area. I can see why i would have two versions under the same part number, it looks like one may have been used in place of the other based on the packages shown above.
            Adam

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

this is what I used on a 56 7.5

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote Mumbles:

The gasket in your photo looks like a ’59 and later 313065 gasket which has been slightly modified by being slotted on the left side. These gaskets for thermostat motors have a hole in them for the cooling water and aren’t open in this area like the ’56 – ’58 304314 gaskets are. I really don’t think it makes much difference which gasket you use as the water seems to find its way thru here easily. The hole might have been meant to be a restrictor to help keep the motor at a certain temperature, but I’m not sure. Even one BRP 313065 gasket I bought sure looks a lot like a 304314 gasket, and that’s in a sealed package!

I’m with mumbles, I don’t understand why there are two different gaskets for these 56-present models. Yes, I realize the 59 and later models use a thermostat, but that shouldn’t make any difference. I can’t see the harm in using the gasket with the completely open passage on either version on this powerhead design. Using the less restrictive gasket would ensure no debris gets caught in the little hole in the gasket…Oh well, just one of the things I wonder about instead of doing things I should be doing….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.