Home Forum Ask A Member 72T Lower Unit Disassembly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    T….in Wisconsin
    Participant

US Member

Asking for advice on disassembling the lower unit.

I’m not sure (see pic) if I have a dowel or screw with the head twisted off in one location.

Thanks

T…

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There are no “dowels”.

T….in Wisconsin
        Participant

US Member

Okay, so to confirm that’s a screw with the head twisted off.

Is there any diagram available other than the Service Manual that’s been posted on this site.

T…

The Boat House
          Participant

This help? Tubs

20240610_125354

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

I think I see the same plug on mine, but can’t remember what it’s for.

DSCN8694

Prepare to be boarded!

T….in Wisconsin
              Participant

US Member

Yes, pictures are a help.

Thanks Buc & Tubs

T….in Wisconsin
                Participant

US Member

I’ve since learned, been informed, these are rivest and not screws with twisted off heads.

At this point in the process its good to know what you’re dealing with as replacement parts are a rarety.

T….in Wisconsin
                  Participant

US Member

I was not able to completely seperate  the drive shaft housing from the prop drive unit.  I was able to slide it quit a distance but not comletely off the drive shaft, don’t know that I need to?

Water pump appears to be in good shape, may need to make a replacement leather gasket.

From what I can see the drive and prop shaft gears look to be in good conditon with very little backlash.

How do I go about removing the cam and prop shaft? I’d like to have a closer look, clean and grease while apart. I’m thinking the larger nut on the back side of drive shaft housing needs to be loosened/removed.  Are there any words of caution in disassembly? looks to be straight forward.

I’m thinking the pockets in the prop shaft housing are to be packed with grease, rather neat design.

T…

The Boat House
                    Participant

The prop shaft should come straight out. Slide off the drive shaft gear, you might have to take out the key, and you will be able to remove the drive shaft. This is a 26 T but they should be similar. Tubs

T….in Wisconsin
                      Participant

US Member

If I’m following this correctly. The prop shaft will slide out from position shown in this pic. Pulling up/out on the shaft it hanging up on what I’m not sure. I’ve tried rotating the prop shaft while pulling up/out. I’m missing something.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.