Home Forum Ask A Member 75 hp OMC powerhead compatible internals?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

Hey guys, hope all of you are keeping safe and well.

Question about 1977 75hp OMC internals, will they be interchangeable with 1982?

I have a PH with great compression but had water intrusion. Wondering if I can use block on a 1982 75hp motor with poor compression

Thanks in advance

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just want to be sure I understand what you want to do…. You want to use the crank/rods/pistons out of a 1977 model on a crankcase from the 1982 75hp, correct?

The crankcase part numbers are different, but the rods/crank/pistons seem to be the same part numbers…. So, I am not sure that answers your question, or if I understand what you are attempting to swap…D

1 user thanked author for this post.
        shoestringmariner
        Participant

Just want to be sure I understand what you want to do…. You want to use the crank/rods/pistons out of a 1977 model on a crankcase from the 1982 75hp, correct?

The crankcase part numbers are different, but the rods/crank/pistons seem to be the same part numbers…. So, I am not sure that answers your question, or if I understand what you are attempting to swap…D

Actually the opposite. Because of the good compression in the 77, I want to combine the 82 crank and bearings with the 77 slugs and rods and put the 77 powerhead in the 82 motor.

My concern now is does the 77 powerhead match up with the 82 mid-section?

If there’s differences in ignition systems between the two that don’t crossover, I could always keep the 77 ignition with the 77 powerhead ?

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well the base gaskets are the same. Looks like both gearcases use the oring on the driveshaft. So, I see no reason why it won’t bolt up. But, I would keep the add on stuff with its original crankcase… So, if you are using the 77 crankcase, I would use its ignition stuff and carbs.
            And yes, the 77 models had a bracket that all the ignition stuff bolted onto, the ignition stuff on the 82 models bolted directly to the head and block…

shoestringmariner
            Participant

Excellent, thank you very much

shoestringmariner
              Participant

Hey guys, I’m wondering about another possibility here; I have a 1977 70 hp Johnson parts motor with a badly damaged piston.

If the rotating assembly is still good, would that swap into the 75 horse? And are the exhaust plates the same?

If you recall, my good compression 75 horse got water intrusion. Rebuild kits on 75 hp motors are expensive

Or is this somewhat of a foolish endeavour swapping a used crank and bearings? ( like putting a used exhaust system into another car )

shoestringmariner
                Participant

Edit, i opened one up and internals are toast on the 70 donor. The top rod-crank bearings let go and went through the motor

I would like to know if the exhaust plate is compatible if anyone knows though.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like there are different part numbers for 15 vs 20″ transom models…So, I’m thinking you should be OK if both motors are the same transom height…

shoestringmariner
                    Participant

Looks like there are different part numbers for 15 vs 20″ transom models…So, I’m thinking you should be OK if both motors are the same transom height…

Excellent, thanks

shoestringmariner
                      Participant

So now I’m back to thinking about rebuilding the 75.

There’s literally NOTHING for sale in all of southern Ontario except motor/boat packages or questionable motors that are overpriced.

Does anyone know of bottom end rebuild kits for these motors? I can only find full rebuild kits and they are more pricy than 70hp kits.

I only want to do the bearings and gaskets/seals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.