Home Forum Ask A Member 76 Evinrude 6 longshaft

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

Is it possible to make this longshaft a short shaft? Also I’m looking for a pull choke knob and slow idle knob as well.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, you can make your long shaft into a short shaft…. You will need a new driveshaft though. You may be able to just cut down the upper shift rod and water tube, but you will probably have to pull the powerhead which is no big deal and gives you a chance to inspect/replace the lower seal components….

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just curious..
          I can understand wanting to stretch a short shaft to fit on a 20 inch transom

but why shrink a long shaft motor….. when all you need to do is raise a transom 2 inches ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Anonymous

Higher center of gravity, less stable sitting and on turns when under way. Most noticeable on small narrower boats.

Mumbles
            Participant

Every long shaft which comes my way gets converted to SS. It’s not hard to do and every motor I own at the moment fit comfortably on my tin boats transom. If I ever get a deeper boat requiring LS motors, they can easily be converted back again.

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

We each have our particular boats and preferences. I don’t convert my boats to long transom because I have 80 other motors that are short shaft.

You may want to post an ad on the classified board to see if anybody wants to trade long for short shaft parts. I have successfully done that. As was said earlier, the only part you can’t shorten is the driveshaft, but someone going short to long needs all the parts and would be happy to trade.

Those 6 HP motors are really sweet runners and trollers.
                Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.