Home Forum Ask A Member 77 Johnson 35 problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hi Guys,
      I have a 77 35hp Johnson that was not running when I got it. Turns out it was a stuck needle and after a cleaning and carb kit it fires and runs nice. The next issue it has is a knocking type sound coming from the leg. It sounds like the spinning drive shaft is rubbing on something. The PO said he put a water pump in it last year. It has a very strong stream of water from the pee hole and is spitting good water from the rear of the leg. The odd thing is it is also pushing a lot of water out the front of the leg (see photos). Is water supposed to come out there? Could this have something to do with the knocking, rubbing, rattling sound coming from inside the leg? Thanks for any advice.

Wannabe

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well it is normal for water to run out of that large hole.
        How do you know the knocking noise is coming from the gearcase? I’m assuming you changed the gearlube when you did the waterpump job, was the lube relatively clean/no water? If so, it wouldn’t seem as though the gearcase is to blame, but anything is possible. Did you run the engine prior to the water pump job, did it knock then also? The only other thing I can think of is perhaps you loaded the top of the driveshaft with grease/moly lube forcing the driveshaft down with improper gear mesh and resulting noise.
        These engines did have a lot of mechanical noise, perhaps this is what you are hearing. Perhaps you can post a video with the engine running/making noise/knocking.

chris-p
        Participant

I was thinking same thing, too much grease.

Or, the sound travelling up drive shaft from the gearcase. Or travelling down drive shaft from powerhead, even worse.

wiscoboater
          Participant

I did not do the water pump. In my post it says the PO did the water pump last year before I bought it. I have not been inside the leg yet. The gear lube is full and a clean green color. Listening as best I can the sound seems to be coming from the same area as the large hole the water is coming out of. I will pull the oval plate off the leg tomorrow and see if I can pin point it better. If not….off comes the lower. Was really hoping this one was going to be a quick flip, but I can’t in good conscience sell it until I figure out this noise. It does not seem to be from the power head.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so you didn’t do the job and have little/no history on the engine. This is a tough situation, I just don’t want you to take something apart needlessly. A bad bearing/shaft surface in the gearcase would probably produce a growling noise, a chipped/broken gear tooth would produce more of a knocking noise. You report that the gearlube is clean, but that may just be because the PO changed it prior to selling the engine to you. Is the prop shaft bent, how do the prop blades look? Does the knock/noise get louder/worse when the engine is put in gear and some throttle is applied?
              Again, I want to let you know that these early 35hp engines were mechanical noisey, what you are hearing may be normal for this engine.
              I know, I can’t hear the noise so it is impossible for me to judge. So, let’s go slowly if you are convinced the noise is coming from the gearcase. You could remove the gearcase, then put the engine back in a test tank and run it briefly with no gearcase. Make sure the water level is high to muffle as much exhaust noise as possible, see if the noise disappears. If the noise diminishes while running with no gearcase, try removing the prop shaft bearing housing only, you will need big snap ring pliers to remove the retainer plate snap ring, make sure the engine is in neutral. This project will be difficult if this is a salt water motor. Do not pull the prop shaft out! You will dislodge the clutch dog detent balls/spring, near impossible to reinstall without the special tool/installation sleeve. Once the retaining ring is out, carefully remove the retainer plate and the reverse gear/thrust bearing/washer. Once the reverse gear is out, you should be able to inspect the gear teeth pretty well without removing the prop shaft. Reassembly won’t be difficult if no obvious problems are found, provided you don’t pull that prop shaft out.
              Let us know what you decide to do, try to post a video of the engine running/knocking for us if you can.

wiscoboater
              Participant

Thanks fleetwin for the advise. Before I take anything apart I will try the video. I have no idea how to post one… but I learn new things every day. one thing I remember the PO telling me when we were dickering on the motor. It came off a pontoon. He said the water pump quit and he had no trailer for it so he changed the pump with the boat in the water. I kind of rolled my eyes at that… but I have heard of dumber things. It does seem to be pumping well tho…

chris-p
                Participant

What is a quick flip? lol never found one of those!

I got an 18hp last week that I thought would be a quick turnover. Noticed the plate was cracked that the shift handle bolts to, so off comes the powerhead. Figured I could change the o ring at the same time. Ended up rebuilding whole motor, soda blasting, and she is sitting in the "booth" now ready for paint.

Such is life 😉

I would at least drop the gearcase perhaps there is something obvious there? Only takes a couple minutes to do that anyways. But as Don stated, the issue is likely in the gearcase, IF there is a problem at all. Try photobucket for the video, then attach just as you do pics.

wiscoboater
                  Participant

Will do chris. I don’t know if my camera can do video and I don’t know how to get a phone vid to photo bucket. Time to call in tech support. I’ll call my Son.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

you can email the video to me and I will post it if that helps
                      dkellogg56@yahoo.com
                      don

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote wannabe outboard guy:

Thanks fleetwin for the advise. Before I take anything apart I will try the video. I have no idea how to post one… but I learn new things every day. one thing I remember the PO telling me when we were dickering on the motor. It came off a pontoon. He said the water pump quit and he had no trailer for it so he changed the pump with the boat in the water. I kind of rolled my eyes at that… but I have heard of dumber things. It does seem to be pumping well tho…

OK, well that must have been a pretty neat trick! I’m guessing he backed the pontoon up to the shore for removal/installation. Here is another thought. Have you had the prop off? Perhaps the PO dropped a bolt or something down in the gearcase exhaust cavity and it is kinda stuck in the bearing carrier hitting the prop while it turns? Would be nice if that was all it is!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.