77 Johnson 35 problems

Home Forum Ask A Member 77 Johnson 35 problems

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)

• wiscoboater

Replies: 739
    Topics: 126

Ok, no video yet but a day of poking and prodding reveals the noise is coming from under the flywheel area. I’m starting to think what I’m hearing is the reed plates flapping. The motor starts and runs beautifully and revs up great. Going in and out of gear does not change the sound, so that’s why I’m thinking reeds. Putting the air silencer box back on and the cover quieted it down as well. I have it’s 30hp evinrude twin..although a bit newer right next to it on the rack. Tomorrow I’m going to fire that one up and do a comparison. Will keep you posted fleetwin and chris p.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Good, I’m glad you didn’t rip that gearcase apart. Like I say, those engines are normally pretty noisey. Your newer 30hp is probably quieter than the 1977 35hp.
    Sometimes these engines have a bit of a "ringing noise" as well, never really figured out just what that is. But, I would definitely pull that flywheel and look for evidence of magnets rubbing on the components. Probably a good idea to remove the mag plate, clean and relube the bushings, replace the plastic bushing: 322435

wiscoboater

How do you adjust idle speed on this motor?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

There should be a plastic threaded/spring loaded screw that threads into the lower throttle gear under the vertical throttle shaft leading up to the mag plate. Screwing the spring loaded knob/screw in or out sets the idle speed. Unfortunately, these plastic screws are usually broken/jammed.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I get mine here

http://www.nymarine.ca/miscparts.htm

wiscoboater

OK, just a stupid question here. Why not replace the nylon screw with a stainless one with a nylon cap? I’m sure there is a reason… But like I said, This big a motor is new to me.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Ive seen it replaced with a number of contraptions!

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.