Home Forum Ask A Member 9.5 hp mq-11

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

An older couple posted a freebie ad last year I end up with a free 9.5hp MQ-11 after nobody took them up on the offer 🙂

Could not wait to tackle my winter project sitting in the basement so I popped the flywheel and found a nicely cracked coil 🙂 and one green OMC coil

everything is clean under the FW

scoped the cyl. wall and they look ok compression #s to come later 🙂 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good winter project…

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Interesting motors and good runners when they are right; but a lot of rubber stuff to go bad. They can be a challenge. We used to call them “clams,” because of the way it will kind of all fall out when you take the midsection sides off.

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Interesting motors and good runners when they are right; but a lot of rubber stuff to go bad. They can be a challenge. We used to call them “clams,” because of the way it will kind of all fall out when you take the midsection sides off.

Yeah, only worked on a few of them over the years, but surely experienced the explosion of bits and pieces when the halves were split….Someday, will try another one, but will be better prepared to catch the stuff before it disappears…

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have never had to do much work on these (4-5) and I am not to inclined to take one apart other than electricals, carb, impeller and gear case .

if ever I get one that is suffocating itself due to exhaust fumes I may just try to fill the lower cavity with a can of expansion foam in a can .. just above the gearcase where you can see the
              big rubber gasket 🙂

anyway , here are 2 nice pictures as to why that older couple decided to get rid of it. 🙂 somebody had worked on it because I found the S shaped carb linkage at the bottom of the pit

still not certain if this motor went for a swim and what the innards look like because I see some sand inside the lower section. 🙁 cyl look ok no rust

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.