Home Forum Ask A Member 9.5hp plastic ring between prop and gearcase

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    wek
    Participant
      Mumbles
      Participant

My parts book shows the ’64 – ’72 9.5’s coming with an 8 1/8 X 8 1/2 three blade aluminum prop, P/N 385940 while the last year 1973 9.5 came with an 8 1/8 X 8 three blade Lexon propellor with the same part number. The 4 and 6 horse motors in the early 70’s were equipped with Plastic props.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
        frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I serviced a fleet of 9.5hp rental motors in the 1960’s. Yes, at some point the aluminum prop was superseded by a plastic version. Believe it or not, the plastic ones far outlasted the aluminum ones. Those rental motors got ran over sand bars and oyster bars on a daily basis.

I go with whoever mentioned monofilament line in a previous post. The stuff gets wound in there tight and actually melts and fuses together. You wouldn’t think it could get hot enough to melt, being underwater, but it does.

Mumbles
          Participant

56-Rude-Fishline

Sportsman-Fish-Line

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

gents, at 70 I known monofilament and.. believe it or not mono did not melt itself into a perfectly white ring band between the prop’s back edge and the gearcase.

I have to conclude that if anyone on here has never seen one it must have been some kind of contraption placed there.

Another possibility is that the prop installed on this freebie 9.5 (yes free πŸ™‚ ) was the wrong one with it’s back edge not long enough to fill the back gap to the gearcase…so the PO installed the white spacer band ??? .

my only beef now is that I have to wait for ice out ….in late April πŸ™‚ to trial run my freebie.

I’ll pull the prop and check the mdl #

thanks all for scratching our heads πŸ™‚

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

wek
              Participant

I had first hand experience that monofilament can fuse into what looks like a perfect ring. My own green monofilament got caught up in the prop and when I checked it later, a green perfect ring, without any loose strands sticking out as in the above pictures, was on the prop shaft behind the prop.

Coincidently it was on a 1966 Evinrude 9.5

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

# 385940 plastic .. Lexon… prop …8.25×8 is what is installed on the 1965 MQ10 of mine so it is the newer version of the original aluminum prop πŸ™ as per Mumbles description

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
                Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.