Home Forum Ask A Member A-35 Flywheel Removal

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

I’m surprised that the air hammer didn’t do it. Take off the tool and
      your washers. See if the key way in the flywheel is aligned with the
      the key way in the crankshaft. To be on that tight its possible you have
      some kind of damage.
      Tubs

The Boat House
      Participant

Never mind. That motor has 2 woodruff keys instead of a straight
        key so you wont be able to see if it has spun out of alignment.
        Tubs

T….in Wisconsin
        Participant

US Member

That thought has also crossed my mind.

Flywheel has not budged. Peering inside the peep hole all the connections and wires look solid and in real good shape.  My reason for wanting to pull off the flywheel is only having spark at one plug and want to  change both of the plug wires.  It may be a but more difficult but is it doable to change both plug wires as is?  I’m not familiar with the black screw in wire bushings. They look like  a challenge to get out and easily broken, are they also secured in place on the inside on the Mag plate?

The Boat House
          Participant

I believe the black bushings are Bakelite, the first plastic, and are easily
            broken. Understand that they are fragile increases the chances of a
            successful removal but its not guaranteed as some can be really stuck.
            Edit the rest – I was thinking A 25.
            Tubs

T….in Wisconsin
            Participant

US Member

Good morning,

At this point I’m leaning toward cutting off the flywheel and hub. I have cycle heated, lubed and using a knockout tool smacked it with sufficient force to pop the flywheel. I don’t feel this risk of damaging the crankshaft outways the option of replacing the flywheel. As you also noted it’s a likely possibility the flywheel is caught / hung-up on the woodruff keys.

It appears the A-35 flywheel excluding the hub is one piece? First thought is to use a die grinder and cut out a diameter a little larger than the hub diameter.

Advise, thoughts appreciated.

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As I said,at this point there’s nothing to be lost by trying your 3 jaw puller.There is a chance you can get the flywheel off in one piece that way.Leave the flywheel nut on and flush or slightly above crankshaft end then tighten the puller and leave it a while and tighten a little more etc.You can also strike center bolt on puller.

T….in Wisconsin
                Participant

US Member

I’ve already tried the 3 jaw without success.

The Boat House
                  Participant

If your motor has suffered a catastrophic event its likely the crankshaft
                    is damaged as well. You wont know for sure till you get it off. It still
                    could just be stuck. I believe this is an A25 flywheel but is the same as
                    yours. Knowing what’s in there may help you plan your approach.
                    Tubs

T….in Wisconsin
                    Participant

US Member

Do you know if this damage is a result of the potential failure or slippage of the woodruff keys or loose flywheel?   In the failure shown do you know or recall if there was any detectable movement or play between the crankshaft and hub? I this example the flywheel appears to have been  removable without extreme measure.

This info is very helpful. It probably makes good sense  for me not to buy another flywheel until I can inspect the crankshaft.

I’d prefer not to cut my flywheel off but I as of this time I believe it to be the best option.

T..

T….in Wisconsin
                      Participant

US Member

Was this crankshaft salvageable?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 52 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.