Home Forum Ask A Member A "4" Horse of a Different Color

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I picked up this Martin "40" last evening. I got lucky. Only about 15 minutes from my house. I think most of it is here. All the metal anyway. There is no gas line and lots of attachment screws are missing but otherwise it looks to be in fair shape for a 69 year old. My first Martin. In fact, it is the first one I have ever seen. Compression was 101/96. It has good spark on both leads. So, overall I am optimistic.

bullie
      Participant

Were there knobs on the carb needles?

wiscoboater
        Participant

Yes, real fancy ones. If you look through this site you’ll see what I mean. Martins are very pretty motors.

http://martinoutboards.com/

bullie
          Participant

Figures.

wiscoboater
            Participant
              bullie
              Participant

Been looking on the site for awhile. I guess I should get a manual for it and go from there. I will see if I can get it running before spending much on it. If I can get it going I might paint it. Might be a good one to try on.

bullie
                Participant

I have been working on this motor off and on with lots of advice and parts from Larson. They helped a ton. Anyway, I finally got around to buying and cutting bolts to fit, most parts were held on with one bolt. I put on the gas tank and recoil and decided to try to start it again. I have been running it a bit from a remote tank. That’s when I found that the tank leaks all the way around. I was pouring gas in and it was running out almost as fast. Major bummer. I wonder if it can be fixed? After examining it closely there is a silver ring around the circumference of the tank where the previous owner tried to patch it. He assured me it was running the last time he used it. LOL Anyway, major bummer.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

They have a fuel tank sealer – used on motor cycles and airplanes a lot. Clean out the tank first, then seal it. . . 🙂

bullie
                    Participant

Thanks Garry. I will start researching sealers. I have to move out of my "dagnabit!" phase first though. Looking at the pictures of the tank now, I don’t know how I didn’t see the attempted repair for what it was. I guess I bought in to the "it ran last time I used it" a bit more than usual on this one. It guess I just wanted it.

Someone here knows just what to use and how to fix this thing or has a tank.

olcah
                      Participant

US Member

I took a pressure tank to a local radiator shop 2 years ago and he soldered it tight for me. He was not concerned that the tank had had gas inside. Two weeks ago I took a 1/2 gallon Handitwin gas tank as the bottom bracket was loose and he also soldered that for me. That could be the best fix and not too expensive. Both of these tanks are steel.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.